1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 Bump when leaving a stop

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jb1390, Oct 26, 2011.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I recently picked up a 2002 2500hd with the duramax/allison 1000. The truck has about 150,000 on it.

Every once in a while, when leaving a stop with no load, it feels like I hit a bump/crack in the road with the rear tires. It has happened on several occasions where there is no actual bump in the road. I cannot find anything loose in the springs, the shackles, or the driveshaft u joints. I have done some googling, and it seems like it could be an issue with the driveshaft slip yoke, and does not cause any harm, and is in fact considered "normal". It is a minor annoyance, and I will live with it just fine if that is the case. However, if it is an indication of something else more serious, I don't want to ignore it.

Can anyone with experience with a similar year truck comment on whether this is "normal" and can be ignored?

2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I think it is the drive shaft. My 98 did it and my 06 does it. It has never been a real issue though.

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I've been ignoring this in my 2000 for the last 5 years.

4. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Could you add some grease in the slip yoke and test it out?

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I've read that sometimes that can work-it is so intermittent it would be tough to tell if it did anything.

6. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I have had mine for about 2 months and it does the same thing. I notice it more when backing up and braking hard.

7. landheerj

landheerj Junior Member

My 06' did this until I added high temp grease to the slip yoke. It's been 5 months now and the bump still hasn't returned. Another option I've seen out there is to replace the slip yoke with a nickel plated yoke but I opted for the cheaper method at this time and it has served me well.