1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 25oohd engine oil question?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buckhigh, Dec 9, 2008.

1. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Just bought the truck at 44k miles and have put nothing but synthetic in it ever since. I'm on my 3rd oil change. 1st one Mobil truck synthetic, the last 2 Quaker 4x4 synthetic. I usually run Mobil 5w30 or Quaker 5w30 both synthetic depending whats on sale or in stock. I notice when I refill the empty quarts, I'm about a half a quart shy of the full 6 quarts. Am I burning oil? Rings bad? Or is that about normal with Chevys? I change the oil every 3k miles to keep her happy. Thanks for all the insight guys!

2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

remember your oil filter holds prob close to a qt of oil. i wouldnt worry about it. i would stick with the mobil 1

3. alivings

alivings Junior Member

I have an '02 2500hd with the 8.1 and I run Shell Rotela T synthetic. It burns about a 1/2 - 1 quart every 3000 - 4000 miles. I asked the dealer about it and they told me that because of the piston size some oil will be burnt off over time.

4. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

pretty standard
    oil filter maybe
    half a quart out of 6 is nothing

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

What weight is that 5 w 40? Lol piston size.

6. alivings

alivings Junior Member

Yeah, its 5w40

7. brad96z28

Why 40 weight Did it use alot of oil or have low pressure?

8. alivings

alivings Junior Member

Thats the only weight the Rotela T synthetic comes in. The guy that I bought the truck from was running conventional Rotela 15w40 so I kept using the Shell but went synthetic. Pressure is normal.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  9. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Thanks guys for the reassurance. I've been through hell with this truck since I've bought her this past March. She only had 44k miles on her and Chevy has done nothing but take my check book to the bank. I just switched to the Quaker 5w30 4x4 synthetic and probably will switch back to the Mobil 1 synthetic on the next oil change. It feels like she had a more of a kick to her running the Mobil 1.

10. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

It's probably not a bad idea to stick with the Mobil 1 over Quaker. Not sure if the synthetic Quaker is going to be comparable, but a machine shop owner showed me an engine he just got in for a rebuild that was completely packed full of sludge that you could scoop out like axle grease. The engine had only 30K on it and always ran Quaker 10W-30. He said it was because Quaker is parafin based. Ever since then I've never bought anything that says Quaker on it! I use and highly recommend Amsoil products. I'm not a dealer, just a really happy customer. I even use Amsoil lubricants in my lawn mowers and chainsaws. Since switching, I haven't experienced a single failure related to wear of lubricated parts. I wore out a lot of parts before switching.

11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

If you change the oil when It is hot (warm).. It should all run out ...Preventing any build up ....I have used Quaker for ever never had any problems...I change mine every 2,000 mi's.....Oil & Filter...

12. brad96z28

You guys are nuts running 15w 40 and 5w 40 In a gas engine.
    That motor will be junk! An 8.1 calls for 5 w 30.

13. brad96z28

No wonder it uses oil !!!!!!!!!!!!

14. alivings

alivings Junior Member

How will it be junk?

15. brad96z28

Its way to thick! Do u know what 15w 40 looks like at 0 deg? Viscositly of mud. 5w 40 is better but still no need unless u have really high miles or major oil consumption. The 15W 40 that someone had used is more then likely why it uses oil now.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  16. brad96z28

Its one thing if u have a tired worn out engine and ur trying to mask oil consumption with thicker oil.But fuel economy and the engine tolerances where designed for 5w30.

17. alivings

alivings Junior Member

I bought the truck with 40,000 miles on it and now its about to turn over 80,000. I changed it to the 5w 40 the first oil change I did. It used more oil at first then it does now, but according to the dealer the use is normal. I'm due for an oil change so I'm gonna try the M1 5w 30 and see how it does. Thanks for the input on this, I'd think the dealer would have said something about this oil being to heavy but they didn't.

18. brad96z28

See how it goes It may use more oil though. let us know. Sometimes syitching to synthetic can cause oil consumption. Dont tell the dealer it had 15w 40 in it. They will probally thow away warranty papers.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Brad how many 8.1's have you personally owned or oversaw the maintenance on in a fleet environment?

20. bridge577

bridge577 Member
    from ohio

I called the dealer with same queston, I have two that I bought brand new from factory one with 6.0 other with 8.1 since the day I bought them they have always eatin 1/2 to 1 quart between changes. The dealer claims that's the design and the were made that way on purose. It didn't didn't really satisfy my nerves but everyone I've taked to says same thing, both mine know have ove 150,000 miles on them and run great.