1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 2500hd play in steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 00bluegtp, Oct 15, 2011.

1. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

I noticed some play in my steering today mainly when im sitting with the truck not running. think this could be the pitman arm? play meaning i can turn the steering wheel back and forth a decent amount without turning the tires at all. or is this normal?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Check the steering column shaft in the engine bay.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto. The U-joint or knuckle in the shaft is starting to wear on my 01 C3500 and I'm getting a bit of play. Nothing compared to yours.

If that isn't the problem, then you'll need to get under the truck and have someone move the steering. Look at all the joints and and you'll see to one that is bad. More than likely it's either the pitman arm, or any other joint connecting the two tires together.

4. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

or the idler arm on the passenger side. chevys are notorious for them wearing out.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

What he said is correct.:mechanic:

6. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

just did the pitman and idler arm support kit from Cognito a little pricey but front end feels really good now. With a fresh professional alignment and a custom toe spec drives really nice now.

7. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Custom toe spec?

8. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going with a steering shaft.Idler arm has a grease fitting that you should be checking every time you change the oil or check it once a month like I do.While your under there grease your inner and outer tie rods and upper ball joints.You'll notice a difference with grease in there.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you notice a difference in steering play with grease, time for some new parts....

10. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Not the steering.I'm saying after I grease all the fittings on the truck it feels like it rides better,maybe I'm making myself think it rides better after putting grease in.Let us know what you find out.

11. cjoverma

cjoverma Junior Member

I just did the platinum kit from nor cal trucks. Also got the idler pivot assemby and new torsion keys, love it. Took all play out of from end and drives fantastic now

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Torsion keys biggest waste of money ive ever seen.

13. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Im also not a big fan of torsion keys.

14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

just turn up the t bars and call it a day!

15. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

Pittman and idler on my rig just replaced, didn't realize i had much steering slop until the work was done. Feels much tighter now.

16. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

That's usually the case. It wears out slowly over time and therefore you dont realise the change in characteristics until it's really bad. Once repairs are made, people are usually amazed at their "new truck" again lol. Same holds true for a set of good new tires and alignment.