1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 2500hd 6.0 whining

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 00bluegtp, Mar 31, 2012.

1. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

My truck has recently started to whine almost like its super charged lol. It sounds like the power steering pump but its coming from the other side of the motor. I cant tell where its coming from but it def sounds like a hydraulic whine. Anyone have any ideas? Ohh and its rpm related not speed related.

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Water pump, alternator, idler pulley, tensioner, ac tensioner, are all places I would check. Grab yourself a mechanics stethescope and narrow it down. I'd pay special attention to the alternator, they can whine like that.

3. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Just fixed this issue on my work van. Ended up being the tensor pulley, replaced the whole thing for $38, this was on a E-250.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the main serp belt, start truck. Noise gone, pinpoint to one of the main pillows. Noise still there, them either a/c or a/c tensionor. My bet, a/c tensioner

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Sound like a tenioner to me.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So what did you find ?