1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 2500hd 6.0 exhaust man. bolts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 00bluegtp, Jan 14, 2013.

1. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

I have had to replace them twice since i got the truck three years ago. I am now thinking of going with grade 8 stainless bolts from the local hardware store as i found a bolt that matches exactly. Does anyone see any problems with going this route instead of getting them from the dealer.

2. daman

daman Member

I don't see why not,my self i haven't done it but it sounds like a fine way to go for preventing rusted man. bolts and breaking,the PO on my truck replaced all the oil pan and trans pan bolts with stainless and there shinny new they spin right out if you need them too.

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Another trick is to drill out the front and rear holes on the manifold to the next size bigger. the expansion and contraction of the heads vs the manifolds causes a shearing issue with the bolts. Making the holes larger keeps this from happening. I've had really good luck doing this.

4. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

fyi, check the motor mounts, they have a problem when they get worn they tend to break manifold bolts. the intake piping across the radiator shroud is a good indication on how bad the mounts are worn, stick your hand inbetween the piping and the shroud, if you cant, the mounts are bad and need replacing. worked on a fleet of gm's with this problem,common issue.going to stainless will be a headache in the future with aluminum heads. the factory bolts are good, when you get them take and get rid of the loctite on them and neversieze them good. found it works good.guy i worked with was certified gm tech with a few years of experience under belt!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well you can't get grade 8 stainless. Theres really only 1 grade of it.
    As far as antiseeze,,,,it will burn up and liquify. And now you will have space in there and the bolts will loosen again. Go with red loctite

6. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

Just did this on an 03 gmc 2500. Used 2new dorman replacement manifolds from rock auto, and got new arp stainless studs in stead of bolts. Plenty of antiseize and you will never have the problem again.