1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2002 1500, which plow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hershey, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Hershey

Hershey Junior Member
    from NH

I have recently purchased a 2002 Silverado 1500, reg cab, 6.5' box, 4800 V-8, auto, snow plow prep, hvy duty suspension.

I am considering a Fisher Minute Mount 2 w/ a 7.5 RD "M" blade or the Fisher 7.5' LD. Both plows are very close in price and the installer says that both will go on this truck but he strongly recommends the MM2 with the 7.5' RD blade as it will last longer. I am only going to use for my driveway and the in-laws. The cost is only a difference of a hundred bucks.

Does anyone have any thoughts?? Thanks.

2. Hershey

Hershey Junior Member
    from NH

I recently purchased a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500, reg cab, 6.5' box, 4800 V-8, auto, snow plow prep, hvy duty suspension.

I want to install a Fisher Plow on it primarily for doing my driveway and the in-laws driveway. I have two choices, the Minute Mount 2 with a 7.5' RD "M" blade or a Minute Mount with a 7.5' LD blade. Price is not a factor as the cost between the two is only a hundered bucks. The installer says "go with the RD as it is much more plow and will last longer."

Any advice would be appreciated.

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go with Minute Mount 2 with 7.5' RD blade. RD means Regular Duty, LD means Light Duty. Minute Mount 2 is newer and have some improvements over Minute Mount. This blade is stronger and your truck should handle it without a problem. RD plows have 11 gauge steel blade, LD plows have 14 gauge steel blade. RD blades last longer so it makes sense to buy it.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Go with the MM2 RD,the LD blade is meant for trucks with weaker front ends that cant carry a full size plow,it is aa low short blade that wont hold up as well,and cannt stack as good,due to having a very low moldboard.Your turck has a strong front end,get the Hd plow.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i agree as stated above. the minute mount 2 RD blade. the 7.5 is a good blade for the truck. you may want to put timbrens or monroe muscle lse's on the front, because that truck will sag quite a bit without them.

6. Hershey

Hershey Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the advice gents, this is my first time with a plow and want to make the right choice. This is the place to get it. It also looks like the Monroe or Timbren load supports are a good idea from other posts that I have read. IS there any preference between Monroe or Timbren?

7. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Fisher M series

Go with the RD "M" series setup. The "L" series RD/HD blades used to be 11 gauge. Fisher has now switched to 12 gauge with more ribs for support. Should be lighter and just as strong as the "L" series blades we have all come to rely on.

Dave

8. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Great choice I have a 7.5 RD on the front of my ford and never have had a problem with it. Where in NH R U

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Now that you said it is your first plow truck, then I highly recommend you to buy Chuck Smith's Snowplowing Handbook. It has tons of useful information that you can use. It cost around $60 but it is a good insurance because there are some stuff in his book that can help you avoid doing something wrong that can cost you hundreds of $$$$ to fix. It tell you a few things about how to plow and stack the right way. I have one of his copy and learned alot of things about plowing and maintenance. To get a copy, go to www.sima.org and click on "store".

10. Hershey

Hershey Junior Member
    from NH

Located in Salisbury, just northof Concord.

11. Hershey

Hershey Junior Member
    from NH

wxmn6, thanks for the info on the book. I will order today, I was wondering if there was such a book available. Didn't want to ask too much in one sitting, much appreciated.

12. Hershey

Hershey Junior Member
    from NH

Hmebuildr, where areyou located ?

13. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Anybody else worried about how heavy this Fisher is gonna be on the front of a half ton truck? I love my 8' Fisher but its on a F350 and man thats plenty of plow. Love that trip edge especially with this last wet snow we had. Watched the 1/2 tons I was helping just keep folding those Meyers over, and all I did was kick the throttle down. You"ll love a Fisher if your truck will hold it.

14. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

it will hold the plow just fine. i plowed with a 2000 silverado 1500 with a 7.5 fisher and it did fine. the only downsize was that it sagged. i put some timbrens in and it really helped. he wont have a problem.

15. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I am located in Londonderry. As for the weight issue I have a F150 and other then the front sagging when the plow is raised I have had no problem plowing with it. I did put a sno foil on it this year wish I had done that long ago no more snow blowing over the hood. If you get a chance take a ride sown to manchester and go to donovans springs off south willow st. They are about the biggest fisher dealer in these parts.

16. Hershey

Hershey Junior Member
    from NH

Hmebuildr, that's where I'll be purchasing the plow (Donovan's), best price in NH and nice people to deal with. Will just be using for my driveway and my father-in-laws so the plow won't be on that much at all. Do you know which load support is better, Monroe or Timbren? Folks at this sight appear to like the Timbren.

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Go with the M series blade. The LD unit rally is alot more for the home owner plowing his own driveway. The M series is a new series plow out this year that incorporates higher strength steel, so that less steel is needed, but the same if not greater level of strength is achieved.
    Get some load boosters and plan on few turns of the Torsion bars to help hold the plow tho.
    Dino

18. John DiMartino

Hershey,if your just using it for personal use,I wouldnt mess with the load boosters.My GMC rides a tad stiffer,since i put them on,I wouldn't do it for personal use.Check your MV insurance,makes sure your covered with plow,mine wont allow me to leave my driveway with it,for personal use,I have separate insurance since im a commercial,bit you might want to find out now,in case you need to make a claim,or are hit,better to know now.

19. John DiMartino

Dino,he just mentioned i nthe other thread,he is a homeowner doing his driveway,LOL.

20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hershey, you might check with your dealer or go on the Fisher web site and check, but I think your truck would hold the new "M" model 8'. The M series were designed to be lighter than the L series but still retain the strength. Like DaveO said, stay with the RD. As far as asking too many questions - don't worry about that.

And - Welcome to PlowSite.