1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001HD Transmisson Problem - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Hutchy68, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Hutchy68

Hutchy68 Junior Member
    from NJ

Need some advice...

Last March, reverse when in my truck plowing in the one storm we had in 2009, 132K in miles. Serious plowing with it for 9 seasons. Ok, no sweat, cost of the work, 5 days later a $2500 rebuild had working truck. Past fall put a new Jasper transfer case in. Love it, quieter than the OEMs....anyway.

December storm, 24 hours in the truck, babied it because I hadn't plowed with the rebuilt yet...just had 2nd storm...7 hours in, I thought reverse was slipping again, saw the tranny temp gauge start to climb in a matter of 2 minutes, hit 180, let it cool down to 150, but didn't matter, reverse went again for the 2nd time in 3 storms. Here is the catch, in 4H no reverse at all, in 4L reverse works if I tap the gas lightly, but still slips badly when starting. Only bright side is fluid looks perfect and no burnt smell.

Transmission shop of course 12K/12months because I plow snow. Of course I am at 15K since I had it done, less than 11 months ago.

Question, how do I keep from putting the owner of the transmission shop through his front window and what should I do about the tranny. I have a feeling that he went cheap on replacement parts.
  2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What trans shop did you use (if you don't mind my asking)? Do you always come to a complete stop before shifting from R to D and D to R?

Sounds like the reverse band is toast (one of my worse nightmares :cry:)... I'd say get it back to them, and quick, there's another storm coming on Tues-Wed!

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

COMPLETE STOPS! Go into the pile and stop let the truck sit for a second and come to rest. Then put it in reverse and back out. Same goes for going from reverse to drive. Could be your valves or solenoid or the band. But if you make complete stops you will notice a big difference in every little thing as the years go on.
  4. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I will never never never go to my local trans shop again. They did a terrible job rebuilding a trans for one of our trucks. The fact that reverse went out again in that short of a time, I would say they did a cheap rebuild. You should get a jasper trans next time. You should go back to the trans shop and see what they say. It could be something simple maybe.
  5. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Screw it...put him through the window.

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I guess Jasper is better than they used to be from what I understand but I would have went to GM you would get all the latest updates and a big warenty and they don't care if you plow!
  7. Hutchy68

Hutchy68 Junior Member
    from NJ

Not a newbie at plowing, been in a truck for 14 years. I always come to a complete stop before shifting, aware of the running, gear shifts and watch the temp gauge like a hawk. I probably should have gone to the dealer, but they send out their transmission repairs. Thing that tweaks me is first thing he said was reverse is the weak point in the Chevy. Ah um...BS, I did some heavy plowing in that truck for 8 years, lots of parking lots, lots of developments.

I took it to AMMCO, same guy did two plow trucks for the fellow I sub for. One is F350 dump that took a dump in the big 2003 storm. Here it is 7 years later and still running fine, and that truck is beat to h*ll and back. Lots of towing, salting, hauling and plowing. Body is rusting away around it.

I think the band is toast myself, could be a stuck valve...4L might force enough fluid to engage the band enough to grab. I noticed a little shake in reverse backing up occasionally, but thought it was my locking differential because it only occured when I was turning tight and backing up.

Just texted my buddy and told him to bring the bail money, might need it.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Based on my experience, I'm guessing that you lost one dog on the case end of the band. It's not the rebuilder's fault, it's the $25 part that failed, combined with an improper shifting technique. Hopefully the shop will treat you OK, even though you are a little over. They should be able to tear that down, change the band, and put it all back together in a day.

Read this thread through fully.....I learned the expensive way how to shift

And it's "common knowledge" that reverse is the weak link in these transmissions.
  9. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Good info. You need to be careful about going to reverse with the tires still moving forward. Sometimes, if you are stuck, you spin in and then let off the gas, your tires are still spinning. Truck not moving. Try to rock it back and forth without stepping on brakes and the tires are always turnng. I've been stuck before and got out with the truck in gear and the tires stay spinning the whole time. Shifting form forward to rev. could be bad without stepping on brakes. Make any sense??
  10. Hutchy68

Hutchy68 Junior Member
    from NJ

Always on the brakes before I shift! Please stop telling me how to shift, I am very well aware of how to plow, been at for 14 years in 2 different trucks. I watched 2 different monster storms eat 5 trucks up while I motored along happily...4 were Fords..haha.

Finally I am getting somewhere...I was told in 2001 Chevy changed some of the coatings on the internal parts of their trannies. I couldn't remember all the details, but they are coming back now.

Back in 2003, some English guy, a big motor head I did a job for told me the whole story..he taught at the Dealer Colleges and he had a 2001 that he tore down and put all the 2000 parts back into it in 2002. At 32K I had a real small hick-up in 2 to 3rd. I kind of remember him telling me the band was probably slipping slightly when 3rd engaged. His truck did the same thing and what he did to fix it. Dropped it at the dealer and they acted stupid until I dropped his name, then a no problem we know exactly what you're talking about. They must have changed all the bands when it was in the shop in 2003. The tranny shop confirmed this morning...it might have to do with the friction coating on the band itself. There are two different types with different suffixes. I just couldn't remember what was difference in 2003 when I went through everything with the 2/3 slip. That was it, the band coatings.

Anyway, I am in business again, shop owner will take care of me...new reverse band...truck ready in the morning...if I plow his lot Wednesday morning. DEAL.

Next tranny will be a Jasper with a good waranty.
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm glad you're getting fixed up. I'm sorry you're so grumpy about well meaning others offering advice that some of them learned the hard way.
  12. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I was not telling you to step on the bakes or tell you how to drive. I read 2cors thread and was posting about Being stuck and spinning. Just something that I saw myself doing. Didn't mean anything by the "Make any sense?" thing. Just didn't know if my post made any sense.

Sorry it pi$$ed you off. Good luck :salute:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010