1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 vortec 4800 v8 silverado 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jeffex, Feb 5, 2001.

1. jeffex

jeffex Junior Member

I.ve been a dodge man since i started driving in
    75' I'm about to convert. my dealer is looking
    for the truck i want now. I have 167,000 miles
    on my 82' dodge van and it still runs strong.
    My experience with chevy in 86' was a cavalier
    z24 i bought for my wife. It was great for about
    3 yrs. and then everything fell apart. I shopped
    price more than anything for a new work truck
    for my lawn bus. and chevy had the best deal. 6.9
    financing for 5 yrs new tool box for commercial
    customer. my price is not final until they find
    what I want but thier internet pricing on sim.
    models is good. ANYTHING i should know about
    these trucks before i get it. THE POWER IS
    AWSOME 270 hp compared to 225 on the 318
  2. beck

beck Junior Member

why not go with a 5.3 liter

4.8 270 hp @5200rpm 285 lb.-ft of torque @ 4000rpm
    5.3 285 hp @5200rpm 325 lb.-ft of torque @ 4000rpm

I don't remember the price difference but the more power the better.

I have the 5.3. I get 16-17mpg empty highway anywhere 13-15 city with a 7X16 enclosed trailer 4,000 lbs. 10-11 highway.

Im not sure of how heavy of a load you are looking at but i would consider a 3/4 ton. You can probably get a real good deal on the non HD versions. the load you have right now may not be that much, but Where do you want to be in a couple of years (with your company) do you want to a couple of ztrs a big trailer etc, etc. Just something to consider.

I am not trying to rain on your parade but just want to help out with some things that i have learned.
  3. jeffex

jeffex Junior Member

thanks for the thoughs. I don't need more power
    as my trailer and mowers are only about 2000 lbs
    if I thought I were going full time soon I agree
    with you but no plans for now.
  4. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I had a 2wd 99 Silverado w/ the 4800. Pulled a trailer with about 2000 pounds with no problem. Last fall, bought at 2001 4wd Silverado w/ the 5300. Has a lot more power with about the same fuel costs. I bought the 1500 because I thought I'd never plow snow. An opportunity arose and I was able to take over 20 residential drives for plowing. I put a plow on my truck and it does the job fine. I wish I would've bought the 3/4 ton. At the time I was looking, I priced the 3/4 tons and the price was nearly the same. Just some food for thought.
  5. steveair

steveair Senior Member

We have a 4.8 1500 extended cab and here at work, and personaly, I feel the engine is a real dog. Think its even worse than the old 305 it replaced. Constant shifting needed on hills. Never hauled anthing with it, but don't think I want too. Not even close to the older 5.7L. I have never been in a 5.3L, so can't say much about that, but the 4.8 is not what I would consider a 'work' truck motor and was designed for business guys who drive to the office each day and haul a 'couch' around once a week for their mother.

The 4.8 will probably pull a good amount, but I'm sure its whining the whole time.