1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 silverado starting problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SharpBlades, Jan 25, 2012.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I have a 2001 silverado 1500 4.3l v-6 and it has been giving me problems starting.

Cold or warm, every once in a while it won't start, I just get a click noise. The battery and starter are both less than a year old and the connections on the battery posts and starter are all good. The truck runs good once it starts, usually after turning the key a few times.

The only thing that seems odd is that the battery is reading 17 volts on the dash

Any ideas?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Next time it just clicks, try putting the gear selector in n. Try and rule out the trans switch

3. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Check the relays under the hood

4. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Could also be a dead spot in starter
    Just because it new doesn’t mean it can’t fail would not be the first time

5. SharpBlades

I tried the gear selector, and that didn't make a difference.

Where are the relays to check located?

6. dieselss

Next thing. And this might be hard. When its just clicking can you get someone to tap tje starter while your turning the key ? That will tell u if its the starter

7. SharpBlades

If I turn the key to on and wait for the chimeto stop, the truck will start fine

8. dieselss

If I remember correctly, they ran through a relay first, maybe the puter before the signal went to the starter. So ck the start relay.

9. SharpBlades

Starter relay is good. And tapping the starter doesn't seem to do anything

10. dieselss

So as soon as the door chime goes off,,,it'll then start. So if you just hold the key while the chime is going off,,,nothing till it goes off? Then does it start?

11. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

possibly the multi function switch in the steering column. this switch is what has replaced the older mechanical ignition switch contacts of days passed :)

12. SharpBlades

I'm thinking I'll try a new starter when I get it in the air on Monday if that doesn't work at least I can return it

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

My 2000 with the 6.0 was doing similar stuff, ended up being the cable from the battery to the starter was going bad. Got a nice 2 gauge made for it, all better. They wanted 160 bucks at the stealer for an oem one. 30 bucks to have it made

14. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

What did you figure out on this? My 06 did the same thing a few months ago. I disconnected the battery for a while and all was good until today. It acted up twice this afternoon and I'll see how it does when I get done work. There is no power when I turn the key, no dome or dash lights, just clicking.