1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Silverado Exhaust Rattle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JBZ, Feb 24, 2014.

1. JBZ

JBZ Junior Member
    from Texas

I recently bought a 2001 Silverado 6.0 liter 2500 with 130k miles. I noticed that i hear a rattle when it reaches 1500 rpms. It never rattles at any other rpms. I already removed the manifold covers because they were rusted. But i still hear it. I checked the exhaust from front to back and can not find anything that will rattle but yet it continues to rattle at 1500 rpm. Any body have an idea to what this could be?

2. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Did u actually get underneath the truck and hit the exhaust,(with your fist), from front to back and try to pin point the rattle? Also check the skid plates if it has any. My truck had a loose skid plate and did the same thing. If not the skid plate, I would say the cat, maybe a loose chunk inside there

3. JBZ

JBZ Junior Member
    from Texas

yes I hit every square inch of the exhaust to try to replicate the sound. Ill check out the cat and the skid plate though.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

heat shield above the cat tight?

5. myzx6

myzx6 Member

The cat should if rattled when u hit it if it was the cause, defiantly check skid plates I've also had a few with engine covers not seated on the clips in the back cause the same rattle

6. JBZ

JBZ Junior Member
    from Texas

Nevermind.. I tried again and turns out it is one of the cats. Is it a big deal to cut off the cats and put in a replacement pipe?

7. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Are you talking about putting a universal cat in place then no its no big deal but if your talking about cutting out the cats and adding a regular piece of pipe then you will always have a check engine light, will never pass state inspection and removing catalytic converters you could be fined up to $10k

8. JBZ

JBZ Junior Member
    from Texas

Ok sounds like something I don't want to do lol.. Thanks for your help

9. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I would bring it to a custom muffler shop and have them put a high flow cat in it, definately don't want to run with out a cat, like what has already been said, you might get a check engine light on and will have a hard time getting a sticker. I wouldn't worry about getting a fine, cops wouldn't actually get on the ground and check your exhaust system to see if you have a cat.