1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Ram 2500 5.9 gas

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jax1013, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

The last 2 seasons i only use the truck for plowing. I had the tranny serviced in October. Last week during the 8" storm tranny temp light came on. Long story short $1600 for a rebuilt tranny. All this with 32,000 miles. No extended warranty. Shame on me. Any thoughts/suggestions.I was thinking of upgrading to the 05 however i am reconsidering.
  2. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Dodge Tranny

We have 2000 Dodge. It plowed from 1999 till now. Every storm. We just service tranny. No problems yet. One thing that will kill a tranny real fast is not stopping before you change shift lever to select different direction. The tranny heats up and the reverse band will also break. If you get to see what they do to make all tranny back up you would be surprised. They just tighten up a band around a drum that causes the planetary gears to rotate the shaft back wards. So if you don't have truck completely stopped the abuse on the piston and band are more than it can take. Also when the tranny heats up that is also an indication you need to stop before selecting a different direction. A 47 RE is not a bad tranny.

I have gages on my tranny and engine oils. This allows me to know what I am doing to tranny. Really not needed but neat to have.

3. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

From what I understand heat is one of the malor killers of the 47RE.The trans cooler in your rad is just not big enough at times to keep your trans cool during those heavy pushes or tows.I would recomend an additional aftermarket trans. cooler in addition to the one thats included in your rad.They are resonably cheap and they do work and at least you can have a little piece of mind that you've done what you could for your tranny.Although the additional cooler won't help if your jamming it in forward as your still running in reverse the fix for that is simple...don't do it lol :drinkup:
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  4. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Tranny cooler

The snow plow prep package has a air to trans fluid cooler then the fluid goes into the radiator. There it is tempered. If the fluid is to cold heat goes into the trans fluid. If it is to hot the heat goes into the engine radiator.

On some of the Dodge trannys if the fluid is not warm enough it will not allow tranny to go into OD. My diesel Dodge has that built into the computer.

My guess is Chrysler wants the trans fluid to be a certain temp. It is about same as operating temp of engine.

Plowing snow in 0F temps makes the trans fluid higher than pulling a trailer across the desert from Needles to Barstow CA. I know that for a fact. I have trans fluid gauge on my diesel and did both.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you only used the truck for plowing and it sat the rest of the year maintenance could also be an issue in addition to the above posts. The bands in the transmission need to be adjusted periodically (the 47RE is a manual band adjust) as well as the fluid and filter change which people often forget when a vehicle is only used a couple months per year. Sitting condensation forms and contaminates the oil which also can break down by just sitting.

Plowing with the overdrive engaged will also toast the tranny quick. If you have a diesel you should only have the OD engaged when you are actually driving constantly over 45MPH- under that the line pressure is too weak to positivly engage it and it will shift in and out at 30-40 (depending on the terrain, traffic, pedal position, etc) and cause the OD clutch to wear out fast. (they are an expensive OD unit to boot).

I have never had the tranny light come on in mine- infact last week was the first time since I bought it that I have had the engine temp and radiator temp even- IE the engine temp didn't pull right down when the thermostat opened (I was actually driving highway with the blade on at 65 for 20 min for this- but it never broke 192Degrees engine temp)
  6. danno

danno Senior Member

As far as the OD button, doesn`t it stay out of overdrive when its just not needed at the time anyway?
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

On my o1 with plow prep pak, gasser, The tranny cooler is in front of the radiator and is all most as big, the traney lines DO NOT go in to the radiator, the radiator does have cooler lines coming out, bot they are not used in this application so NO warming of the tranny fluid. If my truck did not have an tranny cooler in front of the radiator I would install one befor plowing with it. The one in the radiator is not enough, remember that your thermostat on your truck is probably 195deg so how much cooling would happen in there?
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Something else you might want to check, pretty simple, but I overlooked.

Take your truck to the car wash, or if you've got your own pressure washer, either way, and wash the crap out of the radiator and the tranny cooler.

The salt / slime / debris that flies over the plow and into the grill area will start to cover your cooler and not let it work properly.

We used to have a tranny light come on all the time, and have it serviced each year, right after plowing season. The guy at the shop said to go wash the cooler off and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Obviously it's something that should be done, but it's also something that can get overlooked.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

2001.... shoulda had a 36k bumper to bumper factory warranty.

You can upgrade to a 2005, they carry a 7yr / 70k powertrain warranty.
  10. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

The warranty is 36000.. however it was over the 3 years.