1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Ram 1500 2WD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 7thInfantryDiv., Nov 2, 2008.

1. 7thInfantryDiv.

7thInfantryDiv. Junior Member

:drinkup: have checked all 55 pages on this thread and did not find an answer to my question, or I missed an answer due to it being late and my old eyes get a little blurry. Anyway, I have a 2001 Ram 1500 2WD w/3.9L V6 . I bought it at an auction for $550.00 , it runs great, looks ok even with a few dents and scratches. I want to plow snow with it, and I need to find out what size plow and make I can use. I plan on doing my driveway and maybe a couple of my neighbors and that is all. I am disabled so I can't do alot of climbing in and out of the truck for adjusting of the plow so I need a plow with electrical or hydraulic movement. The truck was a state highway vehicle that I bought and was maintained very well. It had at one point a strobe light system on it, but the state removed it before the auction. Due to my disability, I cannot get down on the ground or lie on the ground to do any attaching of the plow. I also need to know exactly what I will need to make this happen. I prefer buying a used plow system as it is more financially possible for me than a new system. Again, I plan on only doing a couple driveways and with my disability(injury) I cannot hand shovel, snow blow, or use a lawn tractor due to extreme cold weather can do more harm to my already screwed up legs and back and arm. Thanks ahead of time for your feedback! ussmileyflag tymusic

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Honestly you've got the wrong truck, a 1/2 ton 2wd is going to have a lot of issues you'd be better off selling it and finding a 4wd.

I know it's not what you want to hear but that's how it is.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need a differant truck. No one makes a plow mount for a 2wd 1500 anything (anymore.) I

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

X2, you would be better off with a different truck. You could fab something up to make it work but it would be very disapointing when it came time to push the snow, even with weight in the back.

For $550 it sounds like you got a good buy so sell it for a profit and put it towards a 4x4 truck, even a midsize 4x4 to save some $$$.

Just noticed your name, :salute: thank you

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

sorry but just cant do it.

1st no plow for that truck being a 2wd different front end
    2nd even with a lot of weight in the bed you wont have the traction you need. get the front tires cought up in some snow and you wont be able to back out of it.

how about selling it for $1050 and makin a quick $500 and buying a jeep or 4x4?

6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Thanks for the service!ussmileyflag

Sorry to say, a 2wd P/U truck isn't going to work for plowing.

7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

anyone happen to know if this post is real? I just noticed its the guys first post.
    Hate too be wrong to a x war veteran and all but this looks a little fishy.
    Most x war veterans would know not to put a plow on a two wheel drive half ton.

If this is legit. Then im sorry.
    If this isnt THEN YOUR A TROLL.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

He's legit, bri. You'd have to be one sick mo-fo to pretend to be a disabled vet for the sake of trolling a snow plowing forum.

Anyway, would something like a Super Plow be a better option for this guy? Put some chains on the rear wheels, add a little weight maybe? I don't know, just trying to throw ideas out there...

Thank you for serving.

ussmileyflag

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

and if he got it stuck? How's he going to get it out? I vote he pay somone to plow it. Any type of snowplowing isnt good with a disability because there is always the chance you will be climbing under the truck or shoveling it out. Snow plowing is only easy when everything goes right. Sorry to say.
    thanks for serving. ussmileyflag

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Since you said that you are disabled, then a 2wd truck is an even worse choice for you. Just imagine getting out to shovel snow out from under it?? Even if it was a dually dump, I wouldn't recommend it for you. Thanks for your service!

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

bri, quit plowing and become a fortune teller. You read my mind while I typed my response.

12. 7thInfantryDiv.

7thInfantryDiv. Junior Member

To All who Responded

Thanks all, It was an HONOR to serve our country, even when civilians spat at us for doing so. Anyways, I didn't buy the truck to plow, I bought it to haul everything that would not fit in my PRIUS. Which is just about everything. As I stated, I was going to just plow mine and maybe my neighbors drive. And yes, I know it is good to use a 4WD for snow removal, but all my military expertise was in desert experiences or hot as hell places, not much snow was ever seen in those locations! haha Maybe I should just get me a M1 Abrams with a plow?? Na, tear up my driveway. Thanks for the info tho, I just might go ahead and sell this baby and see if I can find another sweet deal from the state but with 4WD and a plow already on it! And Bribrius, no insult taken, I have been called much worst than that by my D.S. (Drill Sargeant) and my wife lolol BTW.... I was in the ARMY in the 70's & 80's during peace time, don't want to give the wrong impression.

13. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You should be able to find a M1008 or M1009 with your military conections. That would be sweet and older used plows can be found cheap. Starting an old 6.2 may be tricky on those cold mornings but it would be worth it. Heck just leave it running all winter ;)