1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 MM1 Extreme Cold Problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sojaes, Nov 3, 2010.

1. sojaes

sojaes Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm 18 and run the family business in the winter with a total of 3 trucks, 2 tractors, about 7 other contracted trucks. But on my personal 2001 GMC 2500HD I have a MM1 7.5" HD blade which is fine...except on the cold, clear sky nights when it's brutal...the plow refuses to operate...last year I was out plowing...did several hours no problem...the snow stopped, sky cleared, temp dropped like mad and it broke...then it warms up in the Plow Dealer's shop and they can't diagnose it.
    When this occurs when I'm out I get my booster cables and jump the pump to the battery and it raises...so I know it's a ground issue, but it's not a loose connection. It has to do with the temp. I am stumped...the guys that have been selling fisher since Fisher came out can't figure it out...and I am not ready to buy a new truck and MM2 under the business. We just got my dad in a brand new Cummins with an 8' MM2...so I'll keep my baby on the road if I can. But if you guys have any idea what the temp could be doing to either the ground connection on the pump, the plug to the truck, or my battery...I'd love to hear what you have to say. Today I surprised my dad with 2 more commercial lots which is fine...but I was hoping to do them myself if I can rely on my truck.
    Thanks guys.

2. sojaes

sojaes Junior Member

I was thinking about it...the grease that is on the connections now seems to be a little less viscous than I'd like...possibility that whatever was put on the connections could be freezing and blocking the connection? could be an old cheap dialectric wanna-be on the terminals?

3. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

The best advice I can give is to take off all the cable connections and clean them good, and put some good grease on them and try it out.

4. sojaes

sojaes Junior Member

Yeah. Once I get my truck back from getting a polycaster put in...I'm going try that out. Seems good to me! Lol

5. JD-ME

JD-ME Junior Member
    from Maine

Sounds like water mixed into the Hydraulic oil

I had exactly the same problem a couple years ago with a 7.5 RD.

Water was mixed into the oil because the vent cap was broken. The water would freeze in the lines and pistons or in the bottom of the motor tank.

Changing the oil in the motor once wasn't enough. It took 3-4 times to flush all the water out.

Good luck.

6. kevink1973

kevink1973 Junior Member

Hey jd-me

If there was frozen water mixed w/hydro fluid i dont think plow would operate when he jumps hot lead direct to plow pump.. know what im sayin bro?

7. JD-ME

JD-ME Junior Member
    from Maine

Yeah, you're right. I didn't see that part of the original posting (was reading it on a smartphone). And Thanks for the polite tone of your reply.

8. kevink1973

kevink1973 Junior Member

Jd

Are the prices for fisher plows cheaper by you because they are located there? Im looking for a new 8.5 extreme v in s.s. by next week.

9. JD-ME

JD-ME Junior Member
    from Maine

I don't know. Two local dealers near me have prices on line, and they list $5695 and $5725 for an 8.5X V SS installed. How does that compare to NJ?