1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 HD Transmission No 1 Gear ..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Mar 18, 2013.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope B&B reads this I need help.... I was a little rough plowing a drive that had snow on it after it rained..Person was out of town needed cleaned up..I got stuck..Any way i heard a strange kinda grinding noise when i left..Truck would kinda come to a slow stop..
    Well now i don't have 1 gear...if put in [D] it will not move unless i drop it down to 2 gear to get it to move....Then up shift it or move to [D].....I have lost 1 gear...No movement..In 1 gear..Like being in neutral ..
    Any ideas ??? I'm hoping it is Electrical...Not a Rebuild..
    Thanks in advance ..
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'm no tranny guru, but it sounds like the 1st gear (clutch pack?) is toast.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Is this a C3500HD cab and chassis?

Just saw your truck in your sig.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Based on your description it probably broke the race on the low roller spraq. Explains the grinding too as all the rollers are now loose and without them in their place you'll have no 1st gear in drive. If you scan it you'll likely find some incorrect ratio codes too.

It isn't a super common thing but they will break when abused enough, and yes it will require a teardown.
  5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Don't bother fixing it. Instead, to avoid putting strain on your torque converter, use this strategy for starting from a stop:
    1. In Reverse, get up to a decently high speed.
    2. Slam the parking brake and do a modified J-turn.
    3. While doing the J-turn with the rear wheels locked, shift to 2.
    What could possibly go wrong?
  6. RichG53

B&B...Not what i wanted to hear...Do you know of any good places in S.E. Wisconsin i can go for good Quality work ?? (rebuild ) Or buy a rebuilt ?? From a Good Auto Parts store.. Advance auto,Auto zone,O'Rielly ..Etc. ??
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I cant give you a recommendation in your local area but those to ask are the local guys that need a tough transmission. Other snow removal companies (with more trucks the better) are good ones to ask and especially drag racers or truck pullers as they'll always know who builds the best transmissions in the local area.
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Depending how far you want to go there's a trans shop here in Woodstock, IL that my friends use for their trucks and as far as I know everyone had good luck. They've done quite a few stock rebuilds for my friends shop along with multiple built transmissions for a few Fords and Dodges pushing 550-800hp out of them.

Advantage Transmission is who your looking for.
  9. RichG53

Okay...Thanks to all...I'm just wondering how much to really spend ?? I don't have a lot of extra $$ right now...Plus the truck is almost 12 yrs old a little more than 156,000 on it..
    Maybe just go with a parts store rebuild.. with a good warranty..
    I'd like to use some thing close to home..
    Are there any other things i should think about while it is out ?? Transfer case ?? Etc..
  10. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the t-case and u-joints, stuff like that. Transfer case fluid probably wouldn't hurt if it hasn't been done recently.
  11. RichG53

Those are all good...T case done a bout 2 yrs ago..Along with trans fluid..I know it should of been done this yr...But lack of snow last yr..it was not done this yr..
  12. RichG53

B&B...I read that you said some thing about doing a HD to a trans...Can you please repeat what you were talking about..I don't remember the parts you mentioned ..
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic