1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bdavis, Dec 7, 2006.

1. bdavis

bdavis Member

I have a 2001 2500HD with the tow package. Problem is when I am driving down the highway or any speed above, say 55 and I click on the tow/haul button, the truck doesn't downshift like I thought it would. If I am stopped at a light it will shift a lot stronger at higher rpm as it should but when driving faster it doesn't drop a gear like it should. Can someone with a tow pkg shift it into the tow/haul mode on their next trip somewhere above say 55 and see if it downshifts. Thanks

2. john boardman

john boardman Member

When I use mine when pulling boat on interstate at 75 the button seems to keep it from wrapping up real hard on the uphill downshifts. I notice the same thing and generally like it when using cruise in a hilly area.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Engaging tow/haul does not lock out overdrive. It readjusts shift points to allow engine to stay in it's torque range. Even towing my 6000 lb boat, when on level ground, my Yukon will shift into overdrive at about 58mph. It will down shift with much less throttle imput than when it's off.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  4. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

i stopped using my tow mode, unless towing over 3,000 lbs up a steep hill. it seemed to make the engine slip into neutral when i took my foot off the gas, and then the engine would rev up when i applied the gas before it shifted into gear.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Tow/haul simply raises tyhe shift points to a higher rev band, it does not lock out OD. In normal mode my 2500 shifts into 4th at about 42-43 on level terrani at light throttle. On tow/haul its closer to 47-48.

At 55 mph there really isn't much point in the tow/haul IMHO except if you're going up a long incline and need to hold the lower gear. If you've got a heavy enough load behind you that you need that lower gear at those speeds, you might want to reconsider going that fast anyway.

6. bdavis

bdavis Member

Thanks so much for the replies....I borrowed by friends HEMI Dodge 2500 and no matter what the speed when I hit the tow/haul button it would drop a gear and just thought my truck should be doing the same.....THANKS AGAIN!!!!

7. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

You have a real truck, I bet your buddy wishes he had a Chevy/Gmc. :nod:
    I thought the same thing once.
    Have you figure out second gear yet.
    If you stop and put your truck in second gear, It will skip first and take off in second gear.
    It's really nice when your driving on lawns so the tires do spin as easy.