1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 GMC 3500 Service Truck Build

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Philbilly2, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Here it is. Might as well get these up.

Started as a flatbed cab and chassis with bad injectors. Now it is my main salt truck.

2. Philbilly2

Couple More

3. Philbilly2

One more with the salter[​IMG]
  4. comeeonn

comeeonn Senior Member

looks awesome!!!
  5. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Very nice. Any plans for a lift on this one?
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks awesome Phil, good job.
  7. dan6399

dan6399 Member

Sharp looking truck. Hope mine looks half as good when Im done. Nice job.
  8. Philbilly2

Thanks. I have been following yours too. Coming along well

Not sure. I dont want to but blocks on this one because it is already so heavy I don't know if I trust getting that axle further away from the spings?

Thanks Mark. This is the truck that had the visor on it.
  9. forwhlr989

forwhlr989 Member

did you end up doing the injectors yourself? About how long did they take you? I gotta do them in the spring and just trying to get some real world number of how long it takes. Truck looks great by the way!
  10. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Looks good!!

As for the lift, if you didn't get too high you'd probably be fine... I'd suggest traction bars with any amount of lift though, being so heavy.
  11. Philbilly2

Yep, I did them myself. 200,000 miles worth of rust and grime fought me a little.

The passenger side took about 2 hours to get to injectors, the drivers side took about 6. :realmad: It is a b*tch to get to the last couple of allen heads in the back by the firewall. Just couldn't get on them good to get a good amount of torque on them. Finally figured out the trick. Wacked the heads with a chisel to break them free a little, and they screwed right out.

Putting them back in took about 4 hours start to finish. Toughest part was remembering were all the stuff that I took out 3 weeks ago went. (I pulled mine out and sent them in so I didn't have to front the core charge) I put hex heads back in the back so I could get a wrench on them for when they go out again.

So if you are prepaired, you could do them in a weekend. It helps to have a knowledgeable buddy to do one side and you do the other. Makes it so you only have to remeber 1/2 the stuff. :dizzy:
  12. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

truck looks great, love the reg cab with service body truck
  13. leftynetter23

leftynetter23 Junior Member

looks great man. may i ask why you removed the cab visor?
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Would a set of traction bars help with the weight problem once a block is put in there? I realize they don't hold any of the weight but they do a fine job of keeping the axle where its supposed to be.

The 2nd time I looked through the pictures I noticed it had the visor removed and figured that was the one.
  15. ShadeScapesInc.

ShadeScapesInc. Member
    from midwest

I like the guard for the spreader chute, good idea
  16. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

What, didnt like the huge west coast mirrors? lol
  17. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

You sir, are 2 for 2 in building some of my favorite trucks.
  18. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

really cool
  19. Philbilly2

because I don't like the way they look
  20. Philbilly2

It is possible. If I get the time this spring, I might look into it. I would love to get the thing a little higher in the air and get a little more room between the service box an the tires.