1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 GMC 2500 non-H/D

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dubeb31, Jan 16, 2006.

1. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

cn anyone give me some background on these trucks, as in their durability...axles and parts in comparison to other models... if you would reccomend something like this as a plow rig....

2. vgodenwa

vgodenwa Junior Member

I just joined, and was going through the posts and saw your post.
    If you are still interested, I'm subscribed to the thread and will see your questions.
    I have a 2001 Silverado. Great truck, but we don't do much plowing in Mississippi!!!
    However, the truck is real good stuff. The front diff is the same as the HD.
    The rear diff is the 9.5" ring and pinion 14 bolt instead of the 10.5" in the HD. Still much better than a 1/2 ton.
    The trans is the 4L80E just like a HD.
    Not sure about the frame. Springs are plenty stout for pretty heavy loads of gravel and towing tractors.
    Big recommendation I would make for plowing would be 4.10 gears.
    I get great gas mileage (17mpg empty at steady 70 mph on I-10) with 3.73's. And it tows OK on flat land, but needs gears bad on any incline, especially on takeoff, and I suspect that would compare to plowing, although 4Lo might compensate.
    Wouldn't get the AutoTrac transfer for plowing, but it would probably be good if you weren't plowing for driving in snow country. By the way, change the fluid much more often than a regular transfer case.
    Disregard if you aren't looking at the truck anymore.
    Von Odenwald