1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 FORD SD 4x4

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mtschob, Aug 17, 2001.

1. mtschob

mtschob Junior Member

I have a 2001 Ford SD 4x4 and am considering buying a plow for it. However, I am suprised after reading some of the postings on F250's not being able to handle a plow. Anyway, my 4x4 has an automatic transmission. Will this truck handle a plow and if so, is it better to have an automatic transmission or a standard?

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

When you refer to "not being able to handle a plow", are you referring to the lack of plow prep package on some of the models or the fact that the F250's front end isn't as robust as the one on an F350 and up series truck?

As far as the auto trans/manual trans question, equipped with a good transmission cooler and serviced & driven properly the automatic will work fine. And be easier on you when there's a lot of back and forth manouvering required.

3. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 2000 SD ext cab short bed with a 7 1/2 ft plow on it. The plow is a bit small for the truck, but I use it for residential accounts so the truck handles it with no problem. It also has the automatic transmission. I'm the sole driver of the truck so I take care of it. This will be my third season plowing with it so far no problems at all. I wouldn't be worried about it. If you're going to be doing a lot of commercial work you may want to consider a larger truck so you can put a larger plow and have the payload capacity for a spreader.

4. mtschob

mtschob Junior Member

When I mentioned not being able to handle a plow in my F250 post. I was reffereing to previous posts suggesting the front end suspension is inadequate.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have a sub that runs a F-250 with PSD and an 8' fisher and he has very little sag when raising the plow. In fact he went from a F 350 gas to the 250 so he could get the PSD.
    A 3/4 ton truck any brand will be able to carry a 7.5-8' with little trouble. At worst buy some load boosters to help or change the front springs to the F-350 or 450 ones.
    Of course for the little extra the F -350 can be had and that will move you up to a Dana 60 axel.
    The main issue with trucks is front axel weight not spring sag. Some 250's may look like they carry the weight fine, yet still be over the axel weight limit and cause damage.
    Dino

Last edited: Aug 17, 2001
  6. mtschob

mtschob Junior Member

While I'm asking all these questions..... I was looking at a BOSS Poly Power V plow. Anybody have one? Looks like a good plow to me? Are Boss plows pretty good ones?

7. plowking35

from SE CT

Yes the boss power v is a good plow from what others have said. I will tell you more during the upcoming winter as we will be running one. A 9'2" poly power V. Boss wanted my opinion about one, so I will try one and will be honest. They have very fast hydros.
    The 8'2" unit will be the largest unit that should be installed. Unless you have adodge 1500 then I guess 9'2" ok.
    See dodge forum thread, perhaps 9' piles is back.
    Dino

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The only Ford's that cant take a plow are F250/350 diesels with excab,or crew cabs.The weight of the deisel and extra cab are all on the front end,a plow puts them over the weight rating of the front axle.Regular cab trucks are no problem,a and excab gassers are no problem.

9. pcs

pcs Senior Member

plowking, what are you putting that 9'2" on?

10. plowking35

from SE CT

2000 F-350 with 5.4 gas
    Its a subs truck, I own the plow, and pay just for truck time.
    Dino

11. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Could I put that plow on my f-350 diesel reg cab?

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes you can.

Geoff

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Dino - thanks for steering me to that thread on Dodge Forum. I was starting to worry about you recommending a 9'2" plow for a 1500 Dodge. Thought maybe you'd gotten hooked on more than tubing up here.

14. plowking35

from SE CT

Well the tylenol with codeine did have its perks.
    Dino

15. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

99-01 F250 & F350 SRW pickups both come with a DANA 50 front axel in them. F350 DRW Cab & Chassis come with a Dana 60 front axel. I run Boss 9'2" V's on my 99 F350 SD DRW Cab & Chassis & F550.