1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 F250 Tow Mirrors

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Clapper&Company, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I'm planing on getting the Tow Mirrors for my truck.

If I get the ones that have the marker light in them, how hard is it to wire them so they work? can this be done?

B&B where you at your know

Thanks
    Clap

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Clap I think you have to get the wire harness from a truck that has it or from ford. I have power tow mirror but have no power to my doors for them. I don't think your truck dose either.

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

nearly impossible if your truck is not wired for them already. If you truck is not then you would have to purchase the truck side harness, slice into the huge harness in the door and wire it in. Your better off just getting the tow mirrors with the same options you have on your mirrors now.

4. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Not true, it's very possible if you can do simple wiring, you can make the turn signals on the mirrors work by simply tapping into the existing wire of your truck turn signals.

If you don't have heat on your existing mirrors you can wire that as well on the new tow mirror using any 12v keyed ignition source. All OEM Ford Tow mirrors that come with heat on Superduty trucks are wired to a constant 12V ignition source meaning that the heat on the mirrors is on all the time. Most people choose to use a toggle switch inline with the heat wiring so that they can turn them on an off as they wish when upgrading to the tow mirrors.

The wiring connectors for the mirror motors on the tow mirrors are different connectors than the "regular" style mirror which means a little cutting and reconnecting is required, no big deal.

This switch is becoming all the more popular now a days, I would suggest the 08 style mirrors, they have much better viability than the 99-07 Tow mirrors, and in my opinion look nicer.

The best place to pick them up with a complete kit, instructions for installation and WIRING, the whole nine yards is here:

http://www.dfuser.com/catalog/2008-ford-superduty-towing-mirror-retrofit-kit-992007-f250f450.php

Unfortunately their prices just went up, they used to be 489 for the kit I believe, you can also view a number of pics of what they look like on a Superduty.

Or the other place to get the 99-07 style is here:
    http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/...fo&PartID=356096&siteid=214083&catalogid=3660

The 08 mirrors will be going on my truck some time soon.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct and I think Clap is capable of doing the wiring mods as their not too complicated.

Clap if you wanna run a set of OEM mirrors (used takes off's or whatever) and need the wiring diagrams just give me a yell.

Definitely add the toggle like Doakster suggested if your running heated. Heating grids will last a long time that way. :nod:

6. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

OK guys thanks for the input,

I was pretty sure you could just tap in the the turn/markerlights

The heater Idea is pretty cool also!!

So you guys are saying use the 08 style?

7. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

I stand corrected. ....

8. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Yup with out a questions, for a couple reasons, one I think they just look better, two they have much better visibility than the 99-07 mirrors, I know a number of people that have switch from the 99-07 tow mirrors to the 08s and they loved the change, and three the kits are a little less expensive, you can't really go wrong.

9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Good deal thanks for the help!

And these will mount up just like the other ones with no mods right?

10. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Yup these will bolt right up, same bolt hole pattern and fit up in the 99-08 superduties. if I remember correctly there may be just a tiny bit of plastic trimming that needs to be done to the mirrors where they mount to the truck but nothing that is visible, I could be wrong on that thought I just can't remember if I read that somewhere or not.

11. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

i was just reading up on them and there is some trimming that needs done

12. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Correct. There is a small plastic stud towards the top. I actually know this since I did it already. woo hoo haha.

HPIM0989.jpg

13. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

IMO on the mirrors either lighten ones are nice but if going aftermarket or OME i'd op for the heated mirrors i wish i did . oh well maybe on the next truck

14. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Well I got them today!!

There just pain janes no heat or marker lights but there nice

15. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

So where'd you get them from?

16. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

The local bone yard had them new in the box

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

One more thing that I'm now just remembering about the install, I believe the 08 mirror motors are wired reverse of the 99-07, meaning you push left on your control and the mirror will tilt right so to correct that the wiring inside the mirror has to be swapped, you can't just do it on the power feeds because it's a simple power and ground that supply the mirror, I've heard this is relatively simple by popping the cover off the mirror and changing the wires.

Now don't quote me on this because it's something that I remember reading. Hopefully someone chimes back in that's familiar with this.

Or you could just connect your wiring and see what happens.

18. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

To bring this thread back. I just scored a set of brand new 08 Tows with Heat, Turns, Power, Manual Telescope for 454 shipped off EBAY.

The link that I posted in few above for a place to get them now has a price of $800 for the mirrors :eek: Apparently ford has upped the price for these.

Anyway how did the install go for everyone. Clapper you got the manual ones right? Did you end up finding the mirrors to be wired backwards for the motor controls like I thought?

19. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

WOW good fine, but crazy price 800 now?

Yea I got mine there Manual. I got them from a local place for $125.00 each

20. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Manual meaning manual mirror control, no power correct?