1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 F150 4x4 xcab lb, 175,000 what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by uglytruk, Mar 3, 2005.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

I was talking to a dealer in Florida today, and he has a 2001 F150 xcab lb, 4x4, 4.6l. with 175,000 miles. Anybody have any thoughts? What's it worth wholesale? What are the weak links?
  2. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Thats a lot of miles for a gasser, I wouldn't pay much for it. If it were a diesel, I wouldn't think twice about buying it, but I think I'd hold out for a truck with far fewer miles on it.
  3. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

4.6L with 175,000? Do not buy that truck, you will have a major repair soon. hold out for something else. just my opinion. :eek: :eek:
  4. crashz

crashz Senior Member

You'd be surprised what that little 4.6L can do. But that is a lot of miles.

Expect to replace:
    Ball joints (probably on its 2nd or 3rd set)
    CV axles by this time
    Front wheel bearings
    Tie Rods
    U joints
    Tranny may be questionable

If the rest of the truck is unbelievably clean and you can sock away $3000 for replacing all of the above, I'd give him $2500 - $3000 for it.
  5. CubMan

CubMan Junior Member
    from Wa

Here is what Edmunds says it is worth. I have used Edmunds many times and have had decent luck when actually buying a vehicle quoting Edmunds.

Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
    $8,281 $9,516 $10,656

Mileage Adjustment
    175,000 miles $-2,204

As with any vehicle, with the proper care and maintenance it should last a long time. I have seen an 86 Ford Bronco II which is still on the road, have over 375,000. The only serious maintenance he had done on it was rebuilding the transmission because the OD burned out. He changes the oil, filter and gave her the proper maintenance.

I just bought a 97 Ford F150, 127,000 and have had no major problems yet. I have also bought a 89 F150 with over 140,000. I had it for years, and sold it with 170+K and it was still on the road years after with over 200K. The new owner said all he did was continue to change oil, tires, and tune ups. When I bought it she had documented oil changes, tune ups etc.

The last thing I will say is that with a 175K, those must have been highway miles. Those are the best miles to have. Ask questions, look at any documentation you can read. Do a search on the title and see who owned it. Research is your best friend and will help you to make an informed decision. Goodluck! Keep us posted.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  6. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Too late, I got to Florida a few days after it sold. Couda' had it for $6500. But never saw it. Prices on Chevy 4x4's was outrageous at several Florida dealer auctions. It's income tax time, plus dealers from Haiti ship these high mileage vehicles to ???? and then they're lo miles. $6500 was half price of normal miles. Saw '95-'96 4x4Chevy's sell for +-$6500. That's twice as old!
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Maybe that tells you something ;)
  8. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Chevy's just got some kind of glamour. I also saw lots of rebuilt engines. And weak trannys with only 100k. I know and like GM's, but they're the same inconsistent garbage as Ford and Dodge. Ford just has too many wiring issues. I still can't figure out why my wifes '91 Accord has 300k miles and runs so well. Highway or otherwise.
    Too bad I didn't get to see the Ford. I have a very discriminating eye. That's why I've been succesfully driving $ 100 junkers for 25 years. $5000 for any vehicle sends shivers down my spine. My $125 "83 Chev 1/2 ton (plowed several times for 12-15 hours, haul 3500lbs 3 times a day, no breakdowns!), was in better shape than half the 4x4's I saw at the dealer auctions in Florida. And at $1200 with Fisher plow and (4) 1 ton springs, (self installed), I just watched the trucks run through the auction. Somebody elses problem. I'll keep trolling eBay...
  9. saleen49

saleen49 Junior Member

My buddy works in a local tire shop and one day they threw an F-150 at him to get all new rubber, he looked at the OD and it said 300K, he could not believe it so he went up to the owner himself to inquire about the milage, turns out the guy drove cross country alot and was an exotic bird dealer, the truck had 300k and going strong, If i remember right it was a 2000 or 2001, :drinkup: