1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 F-350 factory plow package help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MWR, Nov 30, 2007.

1. MWR

MWR Junior Member
    from NJ

Guys, I need some help. I'll try to make this short, because it's actually a long story. In late 2000 I bought a new '01 F-350 diesel crewcab pickup. I drove over 100mi to a dealer who claimed to have one in stock with the factory plow package. I bought it on the spot, along with 7 year 75000mi extended warranty. I then used it a few times a year over the next several years to plow my driveway and for winter transportation. Long story short, it was a lemon. Everything on this truck broke multiple times. Hubs and transfer case in first year, trans and turbo in 2002, second trans in 2003, electrical problems, transfer case again in 03, finally the engine in 2005. All in less than 62,000mi.

In the summer of '06 (not even plow season) the trans went for the thrid time, and the warranty company denied me because there had been a plow installed. According to them, I have big problems:

1. The specific extended warranty sold to me is void if the truck is used as a plow, unless the factory installed the plow package. In checking my records, it appears that the plow was dealer installed, rather than factory as represented.

2. They allege that you could not get a factory plow package on a diesel F-350 until 2005.

My question: could you get an F-350 Diesel with the plow package in 2001? Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i think only if it was a short bed

3. MWR

MWR Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the response KGR - I just reread my post and realized I mistakenly typed crewcab. This was a subercab short bed, 142"WB.

Dealer and warranty company are saying no diesels with factory plow package, regardless of cab configuration or wheelbase. That just doesn't seem right to me because there are so many of them around.

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya when my dad got his 2000 f350 i believe the only thing was u couldnt get the extended wheelbase model with a plow. i think there just ripping u off

5. MWR

MWR Junior Member
    from NJ

I agree - that's why we're in court.

I just don't have any original dealer info from 2001 to confirm what the plow package was available on.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

straght talk

sounds like the dealer misrepresented the warranty they sold you with the truck and plow this will be very interesting how this turns out !

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If the replacement transmissions are Official Ford Rebuilds they should have a 75k warranty on them. We replace at least one a month at work. The shipping cases have stickers right on them that say 75k warranty and the attached paper work does too. I would think they would be the same basic design transmissions without the tail section for 4x4. Might think about going to a different dealer. With the low usage and miles on your truck it's barely broke in as plow trucks go.

8. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

The window sticker would state if it had the plow package. If you don't have that call Ford coustomer service. You can request a copy of the build sheet and see what the truck has. I just got mine last month. Good luck.

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I was told that 99-04 would not warranty a plow on a diesel because of the weight of the motor and plow would exceed the gvw on the front axle. You should have done better home work on the warranty on the truck before you bought it. I could not find one dealer who had a plow on a diesel truck. So that is why I bought a 99 with the 5.4 . Good luck in court I hope you win something for us truck guys. Steve

10. MWR

MWR Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks F250man, that's basically what they are telling me. As far as "homework" goes and the warranty, there is an ESP warranty that would cover an aftermarket plow - it's just not the one that they sold me. It was their screwup, I don't think I would have caught it in the fine print anyway. Any don't forget, the warranty covered more almost $20k in repairs over more than five years before making the plow an issue.

I do not have the window sticker, but I do have the build sheet. There is no factory plow package on there. It was both my mistake to assume and their misrepresentation that this was a factory plow package truck.

11. Plow Package

Check the spring code on your certification label. The spring code is a 2 digit code with the front springs as the first letter and the rears as the second letter. Trucks with the "Plow Package" had code "X" springs up front regardless of what body or engine was in the truck. I have never seen a diesel equipped truck with heavier than code "V" springs up front. As far as I remember, the plow package was not available on diesels, as that would overload the front axle capacity.

I would contact the dealer who sold the truck to you and remind them that they said it was equipped with the plow package, and have them cover you on the warranty. Good luck.

RON​

12. MWR

MWR Junior Member
    from NJ

Sorry Ron, can't check the cert label as I traded the truck a few months back. I just want my $3600 refunded for the 3rd tranny - that's why I bought the ESP in the first place.

But what you're saying about the weight and the front axle is exactly what they are telling me now. If only they had been up front when I bought it. They were pushing the in-stock truck on me, or I would have ordered it the right way (probably with a gas engine).

Right now the dealer and ESP are basically pointing the finger at each other.