1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 F-250 strobes in the head lights, need help!!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by wkahler, Jun 2, 2009.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I need to know the easiest way to drill the holes for the heads in the front head lights for strobes? It seems to be impossible unless you take the whole head light out, which i have no idea how to do either, any suggestions? I was just going to mount them in the reverse lights but thought i might as well throw in a challenge!

2. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i would put them in the turn signals they will look 100% better too there

3. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

How much easier is that? Can you take the turn signal's out, are they just held in like the tail lights with some type of grommet?

4. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

they are held in by 2 screws under the light then pop them out

5. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Can you get to the screws from the front of them on the outside?

6. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

To make access easier, i always drop the front bumper down. There are 4 18mm? bolts, two by each tow hook. Then the bumper slides down a little bit. Remove the two screws under the turn signals and pop them out.

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The reverse lights are MUCH harder to do. Your drilling and installation has to be ABSOLUTELY perfect. There isnt 2mm for a mistake.
    In terms of the front, the headlights have to come out. Very simple task.

8. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

So its that easy to take out the head lights or is that just for the turn signals? The turn signals is a more appealing place for me if that is easier, the reverse light thing is just a idea the tail light is OK also!

9. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

i think strobes in the reverse would be much brighter when flashing because of the clear plastic there, no?

10. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I thought the same thing but the whole "millimeter margin for error" thing had me a little worried!

11. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

yeah i have never put them in the turn signals. i would go with clear tubes in the red area. or use leds

12. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

OK someone point me in the right direction on how to get the head light out, its a 2001 F-250.

Thanks

13. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I have never done a Ford, but all other vehicles we have done (police), all the light assemblies always need removed to install the strobe tubes.

good luck

14. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Yup,you need to remove the light assembly,drill a hole large enough to mount...and dont forget to seal it to avoid your lights fogging up on you

15. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Well how do i take the whole light assembly out?

16. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Is it the plastic jeweled head light?

17. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

Ok to remove the front headlight is easy. Just open the hood right behind the fiberglass header panel and in front of the metal core support you will find two metal tabs that hook to the headlight adjusters. simple pull them up and this will unlock the headlight just pull it out. install your strobes and reinstall in revese.
    If you would like give me a call at 866-361-2227 x102

18. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Is there a trick to removing the clips, the seem rather strong!!

19. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

It seriously cant be that difficult to remove the headlight. when you do drill into the turn signal make sure the headlight is upside down to make shavings fall. also drill a little bit to let shavings fall and remove a little at a time. Its best so you dont have a bunch of metal flakes in your housing then.

20. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

Yes it could be hard to get the metal tabs pulled up. I have seen them bend brake once that happens your up the creek.If you want an easier install I would install them in the turn signals.

I will send some pictures to make sure you are pulling on the correct metal tabs.