1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 F-250 Powerstroke, best plow?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wkahler, Mar 23, 2008.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Looking for input from some guys on here that have tried or used a couple different types of plows. I live in Ohio so it is not like i am plowing snow everyday of the winter, just mainly want to try and make a little extra cash and have a good quality rig. Was looking at a straight blade, boss, simple because the V plows look so heavy and was thinking that if i got one i would probable put some air shocks on the front to give the front end a rest. Let me know what you guys think on the ideas, not trying to start a pissing contest but would like to get some input!

Bill

2. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I think you might want to figure on just what you're going to be plowing. If a V can save you time/fuel, and that matters to you you might want to re-consider a V. Of course if you don't need one a straight blade can do alot of good work. I've run both types; each has it's own advantages/disadvantages.

A boss V 8'2" should not be a problem for '01 F250, assuming you already have the proper springs on the truck. X springs, -which should have come on the truck with the plow prep pkg. Good luck.

3. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Thanks for the reply F250.........Does anyone run air shocks on the front end? I know a lot of guys put them on the back for spreaders and such. I am not sure if my truck has the plow prep package or not, i bought it used and not sure how to check? Mainly i would be plowing a few apartment buildings and office lots, not sure what constitutes using a V blade verses a straight blade, any suggestions on that might be good to!

4. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

V-plows are generally used (at least around these parts) for 'cleaning-up; you know the overspill from your straight blade, for example if you do a long driveway, at the begining of the season you would be able to wind-row the snow to one side or the other (-or both sides!), but as the season goes on those sides just get higher and higher, and you may not be able to 'throw" the snow over them anymore. That's when a v can really save time by scooping the snow to where you now have to push it all. Also they are great if you ever have to break thru a snow mound. Also after doing a lot -or driveway there is sometimes cleas-up (A few extra passes) that are required to make your job complete, well a V can make short work of these passes. There's more but I hope you get the picture.

I think you may be able to find out if your truck has the X springs by looking on your drivers door. If not bring it to a dealer and have them look it up for you! Hope this helps... Good luck.

PS: Check out the vid's on the here on the Boss site, you can what I'm talking about; -also check out the other vid's/info from other vendors as well, so you can make more of an 'informed' choice!

5. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Ok i get what your saying now! I will take a look at my truck and see what i got if not i am able to add air shocks or something to make it work. Ohio is a good for snow but it is like we got one big on this year with 14" in one drop but all the other times was nothing to even try and plow it was mainly good enough for my snow thrower. Keep the ideas coming!

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I got a 01 F250 with the V10

I have a 8' Fisher with Wings on it right now

Im going to be putting a 8'2 Boss V on it this summer.

My buddy has a 99 F250 and runs a 8'2 V on it also... He has put his 9'2 V on it and it will do fine as long as u have 500 lbs in the back'

7. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Clapper are you looking to sell any of the above?

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Sell what the plow?

I was thinking about selling my Fisher this summer

9. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Think i found a V blade I will keep you guys posted!

10. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

I have a 00 250 powerstroke reg. cab long box with a 9'2" boss poly V. 900 lbs. , I think I was told it weighs. I put the Timbrens on the front. Work pretty good, but can make for a rough ride. I have a snowman rearplow on the back which makes for good counterweight. Before I put that on I would load up the back with extra bags of salt to help balance things out. When veed back, the lower ends hit the pavement once in a while on these fine mich. roads, but not too bad. I like the V since I have to "carry" snow some distance sometimes to find a place to put it. Got afriend that has a 8' boos straight blade. He put the extensions on it to carry snow and loves it. Except for narrow roads when meeting other cars. Some narrow drives he has to angle it since it's so wide.