1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 F 250 lock out question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tiflawn, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Tiflawn

Tiflawn Member

I need to replace my manual lockouts. Is this an easy operation for someone with normal mechanical knowledge?:drinkup:
  2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

very easy few hand tools and some time it can be done . i know there alot of guys the upgrade too the warn's hubs over stock lil cheaper and they last forever . some times they can be torn down and rebuilt . might wanna try that first
  3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Factory ones come out with one retaining washer and the milemarkers go back in with a retaining snap ring and then you use Allan screws to hold on the outside of the lock out in place all stainless steel.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Can the OEM vaccuum operated hubs...

Be replaced with a Warn hub?? I'm assuming you would have to lock them in before going to 4wd??
  5. Nitro1253

Nitro1253 Junior Member
    from NJ

Yes they can be and you would always haveto get out and lock them, but they are much more reliable
  6. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

ditto just get a lil rubber vac plug from any auto parts joint so craps doesn't get in there
  7. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

On my previous 02' I installed WARN which was significantly cheaper than Ford's piece of crap pot metal and was more than pleased.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the Warn's they pretty much out live the truck. If you ever have trouble getting the main body of the hub out. Clean the grease out of the bore and look for a wire bale retainer in a groove cut into the housing. Most books don't tell you about it and you can't see it for the grease.