1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Dodge Ram 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by snowman79, Dec 8, 2009.

1. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

Found a dodge ram 2500 that i am pretty interested in. I am hoping next winter to have a few accounts of my own for snow plowing. I was wondering what size plow you would suggest for this truck. Its a 2001 dodge ram 2500 with the cummins. Short bed quad cab. I really like western plows so either western or maybe a stainless fisher are the brands i want to stick with. I know i want to go with either a 7.5 or 8 straight blade but I dont know what you all suggest or what itll handle. Thanks!

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

9 foot Fisher HD/X Blade or since you like Western 9 foot Pro-Plus.

3. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

9 is a little big for my liking as i will be doing a lot or tight accounts. so would a 7,5 or 8 work well? pro pro plus? i dont know what to go with

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I'd get a 9.5' Western MVP. You can still sqeeze that into tight spots, you can stack better, and it'll cut throught the air better.

5. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

A 7.5' is an utter waste of time, especially on a HD 3/4ton. 8' is the bare minimum if you want a clean swath when the blade is angled.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You guys fail to mention that putting a 9'+ plow on that truck will grossly overweigh the front end. The Cummins is already 300 lbs heavier than a Ford or Chevy diesel, and 9' of plow is probably too much, especially when he doesn't want 9' of plow. Get an get an 8'. You can always put wings on it if you find you wish your plow was bigger.

7. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

yea an 8 sounds good now should i go with a steel plow or poly as western offers both.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Check the weight on both blows. It's my understanding the poly is often heavier because it needs more reinforcement. It's advantage is that snow doesn't stick to it as much. But I haven't had that problem with my steel plow either so........ I'd go with the lighter one.

9. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

The one thing I don't like about our Ultra Mount is the angling cylinders are SO close to the ground. Occasionally we have issues with the rams scraping pretty hard. FYI