1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel. Long Bed. Anyone using for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greenml, Aug 17, 2001.

1. greenml

greenml Junior Member

Just bought a 2001 ram 2500 quad cab with the cummins diesel.. lookin in the owners manual it says plow weights upto 633lbs for my truck. but fisher and meyer all say it wouldnt be a problem to put a heavy plow on it.. fisher says i can use a v plow that weighs 880lbs. is anyone using this truck? or maybe even a 2000 or 1999 for plowing and if so are there any problems? and what kind of plow are you using? this will be my first year plowing this truck is mainly used for landscaping. im going to be subbing for a major company. any info would be apreciated.. i did a search and couldnt find any info on this topic..
  2. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I don't have that truck but a friend of mine has a 2000. He put a boss v on his and has had no problems.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I just bought a 2000 Dodge deisel excab SWB,I will be putting a western 8.5 straight blade on it next week,Im getting the new mounting system.The dealer said it would easily take the MPV V plow if Iwanted.My owners manual says 690 lbs if i remeber right,with no more than 2 men in the cab while the blade is on.The western weighs 730 lbs,Im comfortable with that,especailly since we rarely run 2 guys in a truck.
  4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

My owner manual say's the same thing on my 1 ton gas. My 8.5 fisher is way over that and the front end handles the waight of the plow with no sag.
  5. Foz

Foz Senior Member

:D My brother-in-law has a 1999 with 8 ft Western Pro, had it since new & no trouble, he does alot of work for me with it. So i guess it's ok until my FORD pulls it out (that's another story)

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

greemml, i have the same truck as you do , this will be my first season on it...new western v plow and snoway st5 stainless salter in the bed. the little i have drivin the truck on the highway with plow attached leads me to beleive that it will handle the plow just fine. my father has a 99 with a pro plow on it , it plows just fine.
    good luck with yours... i can't wait for snow!!