1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 dodge ram 1500 QC SB plowing question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ram_tough2001, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

hey guys. just wondering if it would be safe for the truck weight wise to carry a 8" fisher on the front end from west boston to rochester, nh..please let me know. i plan on doing this on saturday when i pick up my first plow.

2. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I had a 7.5 fisher rd installed last February and drove home from Portsmouth to Boston with my 2004 QC 4x4 with tow package extra tranny radiator and power steering cooler. I had the overheating problem had to stop about 6 times for the truck to cool down tried the blade all different ways and still had the problem. This fall I installed a HD clutch fan and a rubber deflector and all seems to be ok. I took a 30 mile ride around 55mph from Everett to Danvers and back and gauge hardly moved. I would be prepared for the overheat problem. Just search this site for some of the post on overheating and search for some post from me and you will get some good info. I had to stop about every 20-30 minuets for about 10 minutes. Try to run you heater on high if you do have this problem.
    I also had a set of Timbrens put on. My blade is about 600+pounds and get no sag when plow is on.
    Don't forget some ballast in the rear i have about 400lbs of bagged sand and some bags of ice melt to total about the 400lbs.
    Good luck with the new plow

3. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

The plow is alittle heavy but the truck should handle it ok. It would be best to put it in the bed of the truck, but if you cant do that, just make sure you keep it as LOW to the road as possible, like pick it up 4-6 inches and keep it strait so it doesnt hit the road.

4. 31ster

31ster Junior Member

So it looks like you got your heater core fixed good enough to buy another plow after telling me you wanted mine? thanks for having the decency of having the balls to call and tell m you were backing out of our deal. Oh wait you didnt!!!!!! Loser

5. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

31ster

Who are you directing your post to?

6. ram_tough2001

excuse me for my truck breaking down and for me finding a bigger plow for less money. plus its not 4 hours away in NY. its only just over an hour away...plus i told you i was unsure about it after my heater core went.

7. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I get the picture

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hahahaha that's funny- you know how many people told me they were on the way to buy some tires I was selling on craigslist who never showed? I should go email them back and ***** them out!

9. 31ster

31ster Junior Member

Not a big deal but I passed up a for sure cash sale after agreeing to take weekly payments on the plow, because I didnt want to go back on a deal...Prob worked out for the best because I have a feeling I wouldnt have seen too many payments LOL

10. ram_tough2001

kinda funny that you think that because i made payments on the plow i bought and im picking it up saturday all paid for...hmmm....did you think also that maybe i didnt call you because i was busy with work and other things where it slipped my mind....

11. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

You know what I would do if i was you, call the seller and see if he knows anybody that has a Lull or Excavator and load it in the back of your truck. I MIGHT be able to set you up with someone in Northwood to unload it for you.
    If you cant, take it slow and maybe back roads?

12. ram_tough2001

nah its ok. i just found out i have a HD fan clutch so im all good. shouldnt be a problem. plus im only gonna lift the plow about 5-6 inches off the ground. so i should be set. thanks any way bacwudzme.

13. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Just take it slow and you will be set!
    Make sure to take some pics when you get it!

14. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Well how did you make out?

15. ram_tough2001

i got it home...plow works great...only problem is are the lights on the plow. the high low beams arent working...i dont know if the lights are blown or if its the wiring...so i changed out the wiring with another harness i had and now the plow wont work at all...so im gonna put my original harness back in a get a test light and test the headlight bulbs on the plow.

16. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Well congrats on the new to you plow! Research the Fisher page and you figure the problem out. Post up pics when you get a chance.

17. ram_tough2001

got the plow working again, it was just the solenoid. so i swapped it out with another one i had...now i just gotta replace to lights and i should be all set.