1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Dodge need some help.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SnowPro93, Nov 19, 2007.

1. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I'm eyeballing a 2001 Dodge 2500, 110k miles. 5.9, 5 speed w/7.5 MM1. I've never owned a dodge and have never really heard good things about them. I was wondering if you guys could tell me the pros and cons about them. I will be pulling a 12 or 14' landscape trailer with this truck, i know it'll have enough power i just want to know what i should look for and what i should know usually goes wrong and the best way to prevent these things from happening. the guy wants $4500/bro.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why so cheep?

Can you test drive it?.
    Jack up the front, do both sides., wheel in the air.
    use a long bar at least a 3ft .
    Put it under the ball joint and pry up.
    Did it wiggle.

If yes, by the time a shop is done fixing the ball joints your looking at a easy 1k+ as it is about time for brakes tie rods, track bar at 110k ???

..Just asking.
    With any make of truck with 110k on the ticker that has plowed may need some work.

The auto tranneys in some of them did not like being abused at all..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  3. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

It has a new clutch, new brakes, new steering box, new water pump and tune up. Thats why i'm skeptical of the whole thing, it also has a dumping pickup bed. I'm only going to use it to plow long runs because having to plow short runs at our accounts suck. But how are the standard tranny's in these things. I know most standard tranny's hold up better than an auto in most cases.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I don't have a std tranny, but I used a old 73 at a job that was a stick with a 440 and everyone abused that old truck.

Pull the air cleaner and open the plemten shine a light down there.
    discoloration is not a big concern as wet oil is.
    wet oil= bad plenum gasket.
    diy around $50?
    a shop. $500?

Drive it hard on your test drive and find a hilly and curvy road so you can get a feel of how she drives, brakes does it want to wonder?.

And take a look at the front end.
    The fact that some work was done makes me suspect??

Not that you may have a good truck there but give it a good look first.

jmo..