1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Dodge Dakota???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by wkahler, Nov 20, 2008.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Hey was looking at a 2001 Dakota with a 318 extended cab 4x4. My question is that it has 160XXX miles is there anything to beware of with this motor and mileage?? Never been a dodge guy but the price seems right and in good shape. Let me know what you guys think!

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Make sure the ball joints and tranny are good and no sludge in the oil. Other than that it's the best small truck you can own IMO. 125K on mine and all I've done to it is a rear axle seal and regular maintenance.
  3. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

mine is a 97 xcab 318 4x4 5 speed
    its got 249000miles
    only issue i had was a heater core, water pump and cruise control switch
  4. 978dakota

978dakota Junior Member

I have a 1999 Dakota Sport V8 4X4...I've done 2 tie rod ends, water pump, replaced the muffler because it cracked where the seam was, and I just put $1100 into it for front and rear transmission seals and a new oil pan. And my rear diff was leaking. That's with 135000ish miles.
  5. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

i guess yours was built on a friday
  6. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Make sure you have a good OEM or better Trans Cooler that comes with the Tow Package. If you tell me your price, I can kind of tell you wether you should wait for a 4.7 if your looking to DD it (the 4.7 had a 5-speed auto and more efficient motor) or go all out for the 5.9. For Ex: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=249303572 That is only $8500 for the 5.9. You can find the 4.7 Quad V8 for $6000.

Club Cabs go for cheaper and if they are 4x4 you can get them for as low as $4000. Most higly desired combo has been an 03 Dakota Quad 5.9 4x4 with the Tow Package. Its the first year of Disc Brakes all around, last year of the 5.9, and the hardest combo to find usually...
  7. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I have a '01 ext cab 4.7 5speed 4x4 with 87k on the clock. no problems with the motor or the truck its self. instead of getting the dealer ball joints I got some serviceable ones. I do have it at the dealer right now for a rebuild starting to pop out of gear. no regrets, its been a great truck and with all the sh*t I put it threw, towing, running 115mph chasing after people, offroading just plain beat on this truck.
  8. 2500hdFisher

2500hdFisher Member

I have a 2000 dodge dakota sport 4x4 club cab and all i have done to it was a manifold back exhaust because it rusted through otherwise its been a great truck and havent spent anything more than preventative stuff tires brakes oil etc and i got my ball joints under the recall a few years back i now have 115000 on mine and would never sell it short it has really needed nothing and despite the dodge tranny stories i havent seen any of the bad symptoms