1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Dodge Dakota RPM surging

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jrlbw, Sep 7, 2006.

1. jrlbw

jrlbw Junior Member

2001 Dodge Dakota, V6, 2wd....on road around 55-65 mph, level road, the vehicle seems to "surge". The RMP will move up from 1 1/2 to 2 and then drops back to 1 1/2...doesn't exceed 2. Around town very seldom feel but on open road does it frequently. The Dodge dealership can't find the problem, they have had it three different times and says it drives fine...They did a total "tune up" and didn't fix the problem....just costs me a lot of money....Can anyone tell me what they think the problem is? It's very frustrating...I hate to keep putting money in the truck but would like to get repaired and drive for a few more years...Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks...Jim

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What size engine?

3. jrlbw

jrlbw Junior Member

V6 is all I know...Bought the truck used. Thanks, Jim

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

motor should be a magnum 3.9L v6 then
    first place i would look is the throttle speed sensor.

5. jrlbw

jrlbw Junior Member

Is the throttle speed sensor an expensive repair job? What damage happens if it isn't fixed? Thanks again...Jim

6. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Sound like a throttle position sensor problem. The surge you feel is probably the torque converter clutch locking and unlocking (assuming it's an automatic).

Pretty simple repair, if you have Torx bits. It is mounted to the side of the throttle body, directly across from the throttle linkage. Factory part # 05017479AA List price about $80

Worst thing happening is premature wear to the torque converter clutch, which is pricy to replace since the transmission would have to be removed.

7. jrlbw

jrlbw Junior Member

Someone was telling me that they heard Dodge had a "technical service bulletin" out about 2001 Dodge Dakota trucks experiencing "surging" problems...Does anyone know how I can find this? Thanks again...Jim

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

9. jrlbw

jrlbw Junior Member

DIdn't find a recall on my truck....any other suggestions for possible answers if the sensor isn't the problem? Going to try and find a good, local mechanic tomorrow...Thanks again...JIm

10. jrlbw

jrlbw Junior Member

Dodge Dakota surging problem

I have refined the problem a little more and would appreciate comments...I always use the cruise control on the open road and this is when I always felt the surging. Today I left the cruise off and there was No surging....So, it seems to be something to do with the cruise. Any ideas anyone? Thanks again..Jim