1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Dodge 3500 dually

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by buttaluv, Nov 24, 2010.

1. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

I am getting ready to look at & Drive a 2001 Dodge 3500 Dually Diesel, with a Bramco Flatbed Electric or Hydro. Bale spikes, auto 4x4 94,000 miles..judging by the photo's to be in pretty good shape, 8'6 western straight blade...he wants 19 grand...I'll be honest never even thought of buying a dodge, but it's set up exactly like I want...what do you guys think?

I am a little nervous about it being an auto...wasn't looking at a diesel...but I figure if I buy a high mileage gas 3/4 ton, new blade & New flat bed...I'll be at that price anyway....so I dunno!!!

2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Inspect the front end with a fine tooth comb. Inspect all the universals upper and lower ball joints and track bar. Check to see if any components have been changed, if so ask if Moog or Xrf ...

Rust: bottom of the drivers door, rockers and bottom of the front fender wheel lip.

Also ask about the fuel delivery system, look for any aftermarket stuff such as low fuel pressure light or pressure guage. If it has a FASS fuel delivery system all the better. These trucks had issues with the lift pumps going out and taking the injector pumps with them. These add ons are for this reason and will greatly improve life span of the injector pump. If the truck doesn't have this stuff no big deal, just remember to add a few hundred to the purchase price to remedy this issue. You could spend more on fuel delivery if you want to add more hp to the truck or add the FASS to include a in tank fuel pump and lots of filters to insure high fuel quality.....

The last thing is the trans... Pull the dipstick and check the colour. If it is bright red things are looking up. Darker brown or burn smells indicate issues right around the corner. If the truck has any programming upgrades determine if the were for speed or fuel efficiencey. By the sounds of things the truck was a worker more than speed. Also if you are looking for power the 4.10 gears are for you but if you wish to do lots of hwy running hope for the 3.23 3.55 or 3.73. The 4.10's make the truck thirsty..... 13-16 max mpg.

There is a difference between the 01 and the 01.5 trucks. the earlyer trucks had drum rear brakes followed by 4 wheel disk later in the production run dates.

Hope this helps... PS these trucks are worth the extra coin.. besides the Cummins is a proven bullet proof 1 000 000 mile contender.

3. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

I just talked to the guy...Daff, you must be very knowledgeable on these trucks!!

He's had it for two years, never plowed with it, it was a gov't truck, the plow came with, tranny was replaced before he bought it with 80,000 miles on it, it has new lift pump, injector pump & turbo...and he said it has some over steer...thinks it the Track bar!!! tires are about 1/2 tread....I still dunno, tires alone would be another 1200..at least, he said he thought the Track bar was about 150.00 if that is indeed what it is..and not ball joints, tierods, etc. etc. etc. .....

4. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

watch what part you get for replacement track bar..... i just bought a 99 and I have put 4 track bars in it in 7 days.... first 3 where moog.....junk(the taper on the moog is smaller than the stock one) then they gave me trw and so far so good after 1 day.... def check the front end, was told they were pretty notorioous for ball joints and track bars.... good luck and I love Dodge trucks other than the autos, wouldnt have one. mines a 5 speed with 4.5 ton axles. 4:10 gears, only complaint is first is the same as granny in our 4 spd 86 chevy 454

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

In the past 4-5 years I have owned all 3 generations. 93 gas and ctd, 95 12 valve ctd,01.5 24ctd, 03 gas and a 06ctd.... Almost bought a 98.5 truck but decided against it after hearing about all the issues with the early 24 valvers.

Tires wont be as bad as you think. They are lt225 or 235 75 r 16.... Very common and lots of used ones on Craigs / Kijij.... Take a gander at the truck and decide how much work it needs and adjust your offer from there. 19k to start minus....... the stuff it needs done. Sure it might be worth the 19k but it never hurts to run it down and offer less much less as a base line.

Recently picked up a 95 CTD truck with very high miles. The kid started out at $7000.... due to all the work and money he had invested. Truck still needed much more. After some deep bartering and logic discussions I got the truck for $2500.... Remember a $1500 truck is worth only $1500... Sure you might of put $4500 in repairs in the last 12 months but it is worth what it is worth.

Cash is king!!! Go in there with a $$ in your head. A dually 01 4x4 is worth say $9500 in decent condition 2500 for the blade and 2500 for the bed... so 14 500 is a reasonable price to pay. This way you can allways get out of a deal and put all your cash perhaps more back in your pocket. Hey your reasoning is front end issues tires brakes ect. These all cost money to repair and need to be incorperated in to the purchase price.

Ask him if he would be willing to have the truck looked over by a mecahanic of your choice. Explain you are interested in the truck and are almost ready to talk numbers but you are unsure of exectly what is intailed to bring the truck up to snuff. You have no problem paying top dollar for a truck but it needs to meet your expectations of mechanicial integrity... If he resists then there allways more fish in the sea.

Most of all don't overextend your purchase price.....

6. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

Right on!! Thank you very much for your insight, I'm scheduled to take a look at it Friday afternoon....I'll let you know!

7. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

You can build a nice auto tranny for $2,300, it's like a whole different truck when you get the power to the ground. Mine has 300,000 miles and still runs like new, there are a few reliability things to do, but once you get it sorted it will run forever.

8. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I agree with Daf if it's X gov't it will most likely need attention I would price trans, front end rebuild and V.P. 44 replacement and factor that into your offer. I think $19 k is steep even if everything is perfect JMO.

9. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

sorry I missed your 2nd post, seems strange to me they would need to replace the turbo...I would try to investigate a little deeper, if everything has been replaced it could be ok, I preffer to buy them with the issues so that I can have the work and parts done so I know what I have. If he won't budge on price ($12-13K is where is should be imo) I would look elsewhere.

10. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

I'm thinking the same thing!!! I didn't make it yesterday to look at it, so I was going to try tomorrow afternoon....but the more I think about it, I'm starting to talk myself out of even looking at it..I don't think he would dicker at all.. I could just tell by talking to him on the phone, and I was thinking of offering 15

11. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Might be too late, but I always tell the person "Im not trying to insult you, but $XXXXX is what I have to spend, I understand if you're not interested but here's my number incase you change your mind" I've had a few call backs over the years. A product is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

12. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

that is true!, He has actually started dropping his price pretty rapidly, He's down to 16,500 now, I'm going to keep an eye on it...