1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 dodge 2500 trouble

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by TazLandscapes, Dec 13, 2008.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

i am trying to get my truck ready for its annual inspection and whenb i hooked my scanner up to it. i had 2 codes come up the first one was for a evap leak small and the second one was for a evap system leak detected gross leak. how would i go about fixing these 2 small problems up.

2. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Well the best thing to do is have a shop look at it. They'll have to use a specialty smoke machine which injects a smoke/nitrogen charge into the evap system and they inspect for any leaks. Basically all that it happening is there are fuel fumes being let into the atomosphere at a higher threshold than "allowed". A gross leak is a pretty large leak. 99% of the time is either the gas cap or the vent valve depending on which system is used. Without the smoke though its really hard to pick up on leaks, but i'd check your fuel cap first, and if you know what the evap lines are, just look at them from the engine back to the fuel tank.. I know some of the dodge had the evap canister sideways under the truck and the lowest hose was kind of vurnerable to any debris or sticks that may fly up into that area, unsure if its the same style you have.. So thats basically it..
  3. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

I had the same code on my 02 2500 (same body style as 01) my leak was caused by a 90 degree rubber fitting on the evap system. The fitting if I remember correctly is located on the passenger side fender under the hood. I'll post a pic later if you need one, but its -10 and snowing and I don't want to go outside right now.:D
  4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

On a lot of dodges it is actually the rubber lines that connect to the t shrader valve that u hook the smoke machine to.