1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Dodge 1500 light issue

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by cmlcsu, Jan 21, 2010.

1. cmlcsu

cmlcsu Junior Member

We have a straight blade hinker plow, and can not get the headlights to work on the plow when attached to the truck. We were told by the local plow dealer that it was a wire harness issue. We purchased a new wire harness, and the lights still do not work. When we run power directly to the headlights on the plow from a battery the lights illuminate, but they are dim. There are three wires that we can not figure out how to hook up, they are the blue (left turn), Purple (right turn) and yellow (parking light), but these wires should not effect the headlights operation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I assume you also purchased the headlight adapters to patch your headlights into your harness & have them installed?

Do you have your controller hooked up and have the light slide switch for truck/plow in plow mode?

For those other wires. You will have to identify which wire is the hot feed to your right & left turn signal. Get access to the bulb socket (like when you change the bulb) and power your blinker on. Use a wire tester probe to identify which wire (should only be 2) is the +. Splice the corresponding wire to this. I just used the 3M Scotch squeeze wire taps.

Do the same for your parking lamps. Turn them on. You should be able to do both your left turn signal and parking lamp splices on the left side. On the right side you'll only need to tap in for right turn signal.

If you don't have the manual for your plow you can download through Hiniker's website.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. cmlcsu

cmlcsu Junior Member

we got the blinkers to work, but now no headlights. When we turn the headlights on in the truck with the plow attached, the high beam indicator turns on. When we turn lights on with plow attached, the headlights for the truck turn off, but we get no voltage reading at the plow lights. any more ideas? We also do not have a light slide switch for the plow. we just plug in the controler and the plow works.
  4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hmmm. Maybe this was before my Hiniker time but I thought all their plow controller's had a slider switch on left side to switch between plow and truck lights. I vaguely recollect a Hiniker dealer explaining to me that they had to change it to this way because of patent's by Western or some manufacturer.

So I might conclude your plow is an earlier Hiniker plow in which the lights go to plow mode just by plugging in the controller.

If this is so. When your headlights are on and you toggle between high and low beam does your high beam indicator go on & off?

Insure your headlight adapter connections are securely plugged into each other.

This is unlikey since your wire harness is new, but the wire harness has a bank of small relays in line. These are relays for the lights. You may have a bad relay or you could try making sure these are firmly seated into their terminals. (These are designed to be replaceable).

The last thought I have is that maybe your controller and wire harness are not matched (from different era's). Maybe you have a new harness with an old controller?
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. Rob From APE

Rob From APE Junior Member

snowzilla hit one item on the head.....sometimes people are un aware of the plow/truck light switch on the side of the controller. Another thing is that on the 01 Dodge 1500 there are 2 different headlight adapter pigtails.