1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Dodge 1500 Advice

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by CKC Inc, Oct 12, 2011.

1. CKC Inc

CKC Inc Junior Member

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this and was hoping to get some advice. I own a 2001 Dodge 1500 Sport. I've plowed before, but never used my own truck. I am thinking about the following set up, but am interested to hear your thoughts on whether or not this is a good plan, or if there are other things I need to be aware of with this truck.

I plan on getting a 7.5' sport poly Boss plow. I also wanted to upgrade the transmisson pan to a pan that holds an extra 2.5 quarts with a temperature gauge, and electric trans fan.

I'll be plowing both commercial and residental, but the commerical lots will be done as part of a crew of 4 other plows.

Any other ideas or opinions? Any help is appreciated.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Go for it. It should do fine and even better with those upgrades.

3. MoparPlowJockey

MoparPlowJockey Member
    from Indiana

I would put heavier coil springs under the front. I have a 1500 and my plow dropped the front 2 plus inches when plow was raised. It would also bottom out when I hit a bump. I put coils from a 2500 diesel in mine and they work great. Drops about 1/2 inch when plow is raised and ride fine with plow on or off. I did have to put 1 1/4 block under the rear to level the truck back out. Was a pretty cheap way of getting a 2 inch lift. Makes the truck look much better and gives room to the 285's I put on it. After 4 years of plowing my ball joints went bad and had to be replaced. A new set from Moog and all good!

4. djr623

djr623 Member

subscribed! let us know how it does, and take photos!

5. rammanriley

rammanriley Junior Member

Like said above get a set of v10 or diesel coils and level out the rear. If your running a salter id recommend air bags to keep it level with the extra weight. Make sure it has good front end parts and if any need replacing go with Moog or XRF both have a life time warranty. Trans fluid id recommend ams oil seems to keep my trans cooler when hauling compared to regular ATF+4. Good luck and lets see some pics!!!