1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Dodge 1500 5.9L plow or no plow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SodFather, Dec 14, 2001.

1. SodFather

SodFather Junior Member

I used the search feature and found nothing really good on this. My questions are can the 1500 handle the plow? or will I have problems with it? and What type of plow if any? Thanks..

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i have a buddy that just put one on , had to install it himself but seems fine i see no real issues with it.......except the plow he put on seem VERY light duty even for meyer

kinda looks like a two meter plow for an s-10
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I have seen where they put 3/4T springs on it and it will handle any plow up to 8.5'.

Is it recommended by the dealer or manufacturer?
    I doubt it, but the truck will certainly handle it.
  4. SodFather

SodFather Junior Member

When I purchased the truck the heavy front springs where not an option on the 1500, only on the 2500 and up. Maybe I can go with an after market set to beef up the front end.
  5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Yeah, they're $140.00/set and take an hour to switch.
  6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Do It!

We just put a Meyer C-8 on our 97 1500 Dodge quad, short bed. Was worried it would not hold the plow but to my surprise it holds it very well! Front only drops 1.75 inches when raised. This is gonna work great!:D

PS. We have the same plows on our 2001 3/4 tons and there is no real noticable difference between how each carries the plow.
  7. johngus

johngus Senior Member

Put on offroadster front springs #024 and 025aa's.They are the heaviest duty springs for a 1500.I put them on my 97 and the front only drops about 1/2 an inch.They are available from the dealer so the nice part is they look like original parts so as to not cause any warranty problems.Email me if you have any questions.
  8. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

is the truck a std cab or extended?short or longbed?what is the front fross axle weight rating(fgawr located on door jamb of drivers door)? (western recommends a for 2001 std cab, 5.9,long bed, 3850 fgawr,a 7.2 lsx uni-mount.)
  9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

I've got a western unimount on my 2000 Dodge 1500. It handles it fine - no problem at all. It's got the tow/snowplow prep package from the dealer. When I was buying it, I had several dealers tell me that they didn't put plows on the 1500 - only the 2500. I later found this to be b.s - I assume the dealers were selling this line of b.s because they only had 2500s in stock with plows. The dealer I purchased from had several 1500s w/plows and since I've seen quite a few. All the feedback I've got from other owners has been really good. The 1500 can defintely handle a plow - but the others are right, you may want to beef up the front springs.
  10. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

According to the 2001 Dodge option order book there is a lightweight snowplow prep option for the 1500 std. cab, short bed. It is a special order option, (there is no place to check it on the computer, the dealer needs to contact the dodge regonial rep). It requires a small lightweight blade and ballast weight.

(I am good friends with the owner of a 6 dealership chain and I sell new dodges for him when he is short on salesmen, My dad is a dealer too.)

I,ve replaced the front springs on my 99 extended cab to 3/4 ton and run a Boss V-Plow . No problems in three years.I also had to add two leafs to the rear to level it out when it's empty.
  12. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

had a 96 1500 with a boss 7'6" super duty plow in it for 2 yrs.
    then the front wheels started to buckle in at the top ,caused by the extra weight of the plow "so I was told"makes reason. Spent several $$$ to get red of the truck.
    the axel wt is what you really need to consider the 1500 is like 3200? and, the 2500? is like 5100? ( not sure of the real #'s), But enough differance that I was convinced.
    Like I read on the Dodge truck forum you can put springs off a Mack on it, but your axels still have to hold them up. You can add spring helpers etc. but the axels still have to do there job.
    I have seen a lot of 1500's with plows, but after my experance I went with the 2500 with plow prep.
    The 96 1500 did a really good job of plowing ,but the damage was not expected ,
    hopefully the 2001 has been beefed up from the 96 I had , sure would check into it . After using the 1500 and going to the 2500 I can really feel the differance when I drop the plow, and just drive down the street with it in.

anyway good luck, hopr you have better luck tha I with the 1500

ready to plow
  13. porter

porter Junior Member

i know alot of people who used 2001 dodge 1500 last year to plow they had now problems. they switched to 3/4 springs.
  14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

the wheels started to buckle??? Please explain this.
  15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Rick brings up the point Ive always tied to get across to anyone plowing with to small a truck.All the spring in the world wont help an undersized axle hold up a plow safely.The 1500 has a 3800 lb Dana 44,the 2500 uses a 5200 lb dana 60.The 44 is maxed at 3800,the 60 can go as high as 6000,with small changes.So while 1500 may work for a while,the cost to replace parts,and keep the front end going will exceed the cost difference of the 2500 over the 1500.I have a Boss 9'2"V on my 2000 2500,i know Im overweight without ballast,might even be with it,but I know of other truck around here with the same blade,on a 3500 long bed,quad cab,that have plowed 2-3 yrs without trouble,other than the normal track bar wear that happens with or without the plow.The guy who plows the loacl mcdonalds has a Ram 1500 long bed,excab with an 8ft Fisher minute mount,I wonder how long that will hold up,Fisher website says it weighs 855 lbs.The truck sits pretty good consdiring the weight it carrys,he must have put stiffer springs or timbrens on it.Im waiting to see one of the front tires laying in the parking lot one night,after the thin aluminum 5 lug wheels or ball joints give out.
  16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Same thing here. A guy put a 8ft Diamond on a 1500 extra cab. Put the springs in and he thought all was well. That was two years ago. This year, practically the whole front end had to be replaced.
  17. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

wheels started to buckle

I noticed the front tires wearing on the inside of the tread, took it to the shop for a front end alignment. the tow-in ( I think) can not be adjusted, parts have to be replaced.
    standing in front of the truck you could see with the eye that the top of the tires were slanted inward of the frame.

Even though a plow manufacture says that a plow is made to fit a truck, is the truck made for all the extra weight & strain put on it with pushing snow???

In the time that I have been involved with pushing snow and the others that I have worked with, I find it less complicated to start with the right "stuff". you can use a 6' plow on any truck car or whatever you can weld it on bolt it on, BUT is the truck?car going to cost you in the long run.

When starting out TALK to the experanced people in thwe business 1st. it will save a lot of down time, We like to push snow before it melts. or freeezes
    To take a $20,000 + truck and overload it is not a good thing

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

So the wheels did not actually bend. The ball joints at the end of the axle wore out. That is common with any of the lighter weight axles and snowplows.
  19. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

I'm sorry I didn't explain well enough, right the ball joints etc. gave out.

My big thing is be professional, don't start a business with not havine the right equiptment I did , and spent a lot of $$ I didn't expect,

Just wish I would have found plow site before I spent money on the wrong "STUFF"

20. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

From birth to death life is one big learning curve. Who you surround yourself with and get your information from makes all the difference. This place is great for that purpose.
    I, for one, am glad I found it also.