1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Chevy v6?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by grizzlycj, Apr 20, 2008.

1. grizzlycj

grizzlycj Junior Member

Any thoughts on plowing with a v6 1500 commercially? I am looking at replacing my 95 f250 powerstroke with a 2001 chevy v6. Is there any major concerns I should have? Will the v6 have enough power to push the snow? We usually only get 4 to 6 inches here and I will only be using the truck for snow removal and fertilizing. So, it will not get used all the time and no trailer hauling. Let me know what you think.
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I wouldnt but thats jmo
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

can be done but dont recommend it,,,
  4. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

keep the powerstroke wesport
  5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you want to do that...?
  6. grizzlycj

grizzlycj Junior Member

I want to make my business more uniform. I have an factory tangerine orange chevy and it seems like all the other factory orange used chevys are 1500's. I figured with diesel prices, an aging truck, and known problems with the model I have (independent front suspension that seems not to hold up well plowing and auto transmission trouble that my mechanic says will fail again due to the snow plowing) why not get a truck that might hold up better. I have found one with a v6 but, maybe I should keep looking for a v8 or does this matter?
    I am also trying to market my lawn care business and when I take the ford out to fertilize I get a lot of looks making me think I should advertise on the truck. Yes, I could put a sign on that truck but I want to look professional and give an image that I am more than a one guy business. Or that the orange color will brand the company in peoples minds Hopefully this will help me land bigger business.
    Anyways will a v6 do the job? Will a 1500 hold up to plowing?
  7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I guess this really depends on what you're doing for plowing. If you're a driveway guy and do some small lots like a gas station or independant doctor's office you'll probably be fine wiht a 1500, but if you're doing bigger lots for like grocery stores and such you might want to reconsider.

A 1500 will hold up if you're gentle on it, the frames, drivetrain and suspension are not as hardy as the 2500's and up, but lots of guys use them successfully.

I wouldn't bother with the 6 if I were you. You're going to be way down on available power and torque and there is little to no significant improvement in economy from what I've read on this and other forums.

No question you should be advertising on the truck. Get some door magnets today for every truck you use.
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are worried about transmission failures and suspension issues how is a 1500 going to solve any of that for you?
  9. grizzlycj

grizzlycj Junior Member

Exmark1, well the transmission problems are a problem with all fords of that model. The bushing in the front of the pump expands and dumps fluid out. This happened in the middle of a snow event. The mechanic fixed it and told me it was a deal with the fords. He says he fixes them all the time and even for the city who run the newer fords. So, he said it probably will happen again if I continue plowing with that truck. And I have not heard anything like that for a chevy. As far as the 1500, like I said in my earlier post, I cannot find a used 2500 in the factory paint and one that is a 4 wheel drive.

Mayhem, thanks for the reply that is kind of what I thought but I did not know if anyone has plowed with the v6 1500.
  10. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I had an 89 Chevy 2500 with the V6 and worked the crap out of it. Plowed for 10 years with a Fisher 8' plow. Gave it to my buddy for his privet road, still going with around 250,000 miles. There is plenty of power to push snow but not enough to do lots of damage when you hit something.
  11. grizzlycj

grizzlycj Junior Member

Was that the 4.3 liter? I am currently looking at a 2001 with the 4.3L but it is only a 1500.
  12. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes, 4.3 V6