1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Chevy Silverado Headlight issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bizzo15, Jul 18, 2012.

1. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

So I just picked up this truck last week and it's pretty clean and it came with a snoway plow. One of the issues with the truck is that when the headlights are on the passenger headlight is extremely dim. The previous owner mentioned this and said he tried all new bulbs to fix it with no luck. My guess is it's a bad ground or something to do with the plow wiring. I was just wondering if anyone has seen or experienced this before and could point me in the right direction before I go poking around with the multimeter.

Thanks

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Start with the ground and work from there, It is just the one light right ?

3. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

It's both the passenger side high beam and low beam. I pulled the passenger headlight assembly tonight and I think I see the problem. Whoever installed the snoway plow did a butcher job on the passenger side wiring, I wish I would have snapped a pic to show you guys but it definitely doesn't look right. So now I'm going to try and hunt down some schematics from snoway and figure this thing out.

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Good ! Let us know how it go's,

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can you cut the plow wiring from the factory wiring,,,and have enough left over....and see if that's your problem? Least might get your headlight back to bright again

6. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Look up basher he is a snoway man. He all so had a FB page its Basher and sons lots of info on his site. What plow is it? You can all so go sno-way.com and look at some stuff I have an older snoway plow its a 24D. Some plow info would help out

7. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

I believe it's a Predator 26?? I don't see any model #'s on the plow itself only serial #'s

8. blazer2plower

That will work call your local snoway dealer and give them that and tell them you need the manuals for it. Or you can look it up on the there website. Pm basher and see if he can help out he my have a link for them so you can download them in a PDF file his website is Basher & Sons you can call his shop great people to work with.

9. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Ok. Sounds good. I'm going to snap up some pics of the wiring *cough* hack job. When I get back from camping and see what you guys think as well as grab the manuals.

10. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Ok, so I finally had some time to get a better look at the headlight wiring and test with my multimeter. Here's some pictures of the wiring

These are of the passenger side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then here's the driver side
    [​IMG]

When I was poking around with the multimeter, I was able to get 11.6V out of the turn signal, and parking lamp on the passenger side but when I probed either the high beam or low beam I get less than a volt. The driver's side of course is rock solid at 12V. I'm still not sure if it's the plow wiring or the truck side headlight wiring causing my issue but what I find a little weird is that the passenger side truck wiring only has one socket for the headlamps as where the driver's side has one for the low beam and one for the high beam. Does anybody that is familiar with snoway wiring think that passenger side setup looks normal?

Also does anybody have the lighting wiring diagram for a 2001 Chevy Silverado??

Thanks for any help.

11. blazer2plower

Pm Basher he can help he's a snoway dealer if I had that plow I would send you info mine is a lot older

12. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Thanks, I just PM'ed him.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OK lower your picture resolution for easier viewing please.

You don't have a 26 at least not the wiring that would come with a 26 series.

is the white wire that is suppose to be attached between the headlights connected?

I assume you have a single relay harness, just one relay with 8 terminals?

Give me the serial number off the a frame and I'll tell you what kind of plow it is.

14. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Sorry about the pic resolution. I'm used to forums that auto resize. I fixed them. As far as the white wire you speak of I do not believe so. I didn't see one when I had it apart. If you look at the second pic the wire coming out of that goes into the socket in picture 1. I'm going to go out and grab the serial number right now.

15. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

There's a bunch of serial #'s so I took pics of them. Hope this helps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. blazer2plower

Looks like a 24 series.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Close it's a MTD. Basically the 24 series black iron and lights with the new SM-01 hydraulics.

I'll get you links to manuals, etc tomorrow

18. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Thanks for the help!

So I went out tonight when it was dark to check on my lights and since I was in there poking around my passenger side lights are bright again. Although I'm not out of the woods yet. My lights are now stuck on high beam and when I use the stalk to switch them to low beam the high beam indicator stays lit on the dash and the headlights turn off. :realmad: Gotta love electrical gremlins :gunsfiring:

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OK well I guess the dim light is a grounding issue, the other problems are not gremlins :nono: they're based on the wrong adapters and maybe wrong harness. More info later.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Manuals

Owners manual
    http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner Manuals/97100727E.pdf

parts manual
    http://www.snoway.com/service/Parts Manuals/97100740f.pdf

light kit manual
    http://www.snoway.com/service/LightKits/97100725d.pdf

The proper harness for your truck is a 99100197 harness. It should have a frame ground wire. http://www.snoway.com/service/LightKits/97100353d.pdf

The adaptor is a 99100411 http://www.snoway.com/service/LightKits/97100657b.pdf

Let me know if we can help. Faster responses though the email address.