1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 chevy HD vs. 2001chevy HD diesel ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ernest, May 20, 2007.

1. ernest

ernest Member

What truck do you think is better ? I have no knowledge about diesels .The truck would be used for lawn work & plowing.
  2. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

I have an 02 D-Max. 66,000 miles on it Mint truck loved it till Fri sheer pin on engine broke
    now from what I have read 10-12,000$$$$ for a new one
    No mods at all. now i have to decide to get the motor done .

ugh 6 months out of 5 year warr. I'm talking to GM to see if I can get any good will.

I test drive a 03 8.1 today,, liked it. Go to dieselplace.com good info
  3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Bummer.. I love my diesel. I never heard of a shear pin breaking in the engine. Talk about bad luck.
  4. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

What and where s the shear pin?? I've never heardof such a thing. I have an 02 Duramax with 90K on it and it hasn't missed a beat. Mostly towing miles too. 10K -12 K sounds awfully high. A new duramax crate motor is only around $6,500 bucks.
  5. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Sorry Ernest. To answer your question Iwould go dieselif you plan to keep the truck more than a year. I love mine and I have owned lots of big block chevy trucks over the years. Big blocks tow great and the mileage isn't horrible compared to other trucks Ive owned but the diesel does great on fuel and tows pretty well.
  6. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Shear Pin?

Where-Where-Where is this shear pin! Where? Hippy
  7. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

SORRY not a sheer pin it is a DOWL pin i think it is located behind the front cover on the camshaft.
  8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

"Better" is subjective. Most folks don't need a diesel. It's hard to justify the expense. Unless you tow or drive a lot, it probably won't pay for itself. I find the 8.1 an outstanding motor. I am selling both if you are looking!