1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 chevy 3500HD Rear End

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mriss, Nov 18, 2002.

1. mriss

mriss Junior Member
    from 35958

I have a 2001 3500hd with a 6.5 diesel and would like to install a limited slip differential. I am having trouble identifing which rear end I have. I believe it to be a dana 80 but it dosen't have the 6 or 8 bolts to hold the axle in. Instead it has only 5 small bolts which removes a round cover. Behind the cover it appears there is a lock nut. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to get the axle out? thanks for any help.

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

are you sure its not a 10.5"14 bolt?

3. mriss

mriss Junior Member
    from 35958

No, its a 10 bolt and matches the picture of a dana 80 perfectly. The only difference I see is the way the axle is held in.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MR....check your glove box for the service RPO codes.
    Then go to www.gmforums.com
    They have a RPO decoder link......Then you can find
    out which axle and ratio you have.............geo

5. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

Mriss

Please let us know how this project goes. I have a couple of the same trucks and the same thought has crossed my mine. I've done fairly well without the locking diff. on these trucks and always figured the cost and the trouble wouldn't be worth it. I can testify to the fact that it would come in handy on grades but must area's we work on are flat and as long as we don't stop and lose momentum we don't have a problem.