1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Chevy 3500 Silverado Duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gregg1987, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

Hey Guys!

I came across a 2001 Chevy 3500 Silverado Duramax. Its in almost perfect condition i cant find anything wrong with it at all. has 120,000 miles on it but the body looks immaculate in and out. Took it for a drive and it was a nice ride really liked it!

Are there any normal issues with these trucks or this particular year?

- It is the 6.6L Turbo Diesel (Duramax)
    - 4x4
    - Extended Cab (Not Crew Cab)

Any experience with these trucks or this year and model especially would love to hear it (good and bad). Just curious as to normal problems or issues to look for with these trucks.

If you need to know something else just ask i can see if i have the info.

Thanks Guys,
  2. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

Injector issues is the only one that comes to mind right at the moment, I imagine more people will chime in with experience.

Otherwise it sounds like a good well taken care of truck.

Good Luck.
  3. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

What do injectors normally cost on these trucks if that was to go?

The trucks only defect was a crack in the windshield (looks like it was from a rock shot).

But they are going to replace the Windshield, it has new tires, they did the oil change, a tranny service, changed the fuel filter, and the Oil pan looked in good shape.

And like i said the body, interior, fame everything just looks in good shape, no rust or anything like that.

from what i hear these trucks usually have good trannys too.

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You have the first year the Duramax came out, which is the LB7 version.It is a great motor but as previosly mentioned,the original injectors were crap.Mine were replaced at app.25,000 miles.Make sure they were replaced by the better,updated ones because yes,they are very expensive with the labor.The Allison is the very best automatic there is. Good luck.
  5. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Head gaskets were an issue on the 01's as well. I have an 04 LB7, totally solid motor and I have Stage 2 Edge Juice, this thing moves!!
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Injectors- buddy of mine had an '01 Dmax- had to do the injectors twice because the dealer installed the "old" version again after they failed around 110K miles- spend many grand on injectors!

Other than that though- they're solid trucks!
  7. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

just from looking under the hood anyway to tell which injectors are in there?

the truck has about 120,000 miles on it could i assume most likely that they have already been changed out?
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Post the pics when you get it Gregg.
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Nope, they're in the heads. And contrary to what many think, there was rumor of a "new style" injector, but there's no such thing. Future replacement will be inevitable. They're warranted 7yrs 200k, but the 01 is out of that. I've had sets last 150k, some more, but some less. You can run a vin check through the dealer and see if they were ever done. A complete set installed is upwards of $3,500.

As for head gaskets, the 01's aren't prone to them by any means.....infact its a small percentage that it happens to and its typically operator error. Failure to flush coolant as recommended will cause electrolosis in some 01 models, causing the chemicals to eat away at the gasket. Even when it happens, it doesn't "blow" a head gasket, it just basically loses its seal btw the coolant and exhaust ports causing an over pressurized coolant system. That too is a $3,500 plus fix. Usually if it happens its around the 250k mark.

I wouldn't worry much about either one, especially with that low of miles.
  10. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

Thanks for the info, those are some expensive repairs ><;;;

You wouldn't worry with that low of miles? lol sorry this will be my first Diesel and I'm still used to gas engines and 120k being called low just sounds weird lol. Around when do you think it would possible give me an issue? (and yea i know you cant really know for sure)

- In all reality i suppose there really isn't to much you can do to prevent the damage or increase the life of the injectors?

- How often is it recommended that the coolant get flushed? I assume this is the engine coolant.

Another question how often is it recommended that tranny fluid be changed or flushed (or like a tranny service) to increase the life of it or does that have any bearing on it at all? I have heard different reports on this. Also heard that the tranny on these trucks are really good and should last a bit longer then others. (5-speed Allison 1000 automatic on this 2001 model i believe)

Rather keep costs down lol

Thanks for all the info guys
  11. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

i think you might get your questions answered better over at dieselplace.com
  12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Another '01 Duramax owner here who unfortunatly had to pay to replace the injectors out of pocket. The $3500 is pretty accurite in my experience. Went out this summer at about 125K, the only major problem I've had with this truck. Good Luck.
  13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've got about 4,000 posts there ;)
  14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Alli 1k is by far the best trans behind a modern diesel, especially for the year you're looking at. Trans service is easy on these trucks b/c the Alli has a spin on filter. As for miles, I consider 120k low miles on a modern gasser, let alone on a diesel. I have a combined total of about 3/4 of a million miles btw my 3 Dmaxes and you'd never know it looking at or driving them. Coolant is rated for 100k but it doesn't hurt to do a bit more often. Injector life can usually be extended a bit by keeping them clean and lubed. Cleaners such as Standyne, etc do a good job of both. It's also been said that trucks that are abused a bit more seem to have prolonged injector life. Probably b/c the amount of constant fuel going through them more often.

It's not unheard of to see a Dmax with 500k on it these days.
  15. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

so if the truck has about 120,000 miles on it from what your saying you would probably recommend changing out the coolant, and putting some additive in the fuel when i get this truck? since i really wont know when the last time this was done.

other then that maybe a tranny service? but they should be doing that before i pick it up anyway.

the truck sounds to be very solid i just hope i don't have to dump more into it (at least not right away) so preventive measures that work I'm willing to use. (since they should be less costly then a few grand for an injector etc.)

Thanks again for all the info guys has been very helpful. as always gives me a good knowledge base to go off of and things to be ready for.
  16. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

also just out of curiosity got-h2o i saw that you have an 01 2500 (which i assume is pretty much the same as the 3500 I'm looking at)

You the original owner?

How many miles you have on that one?

How many times have you had to change your injectors on that one?

Has the truck definitely paid for itself or has it been a lot in repairs?

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

2nd owner, bought it with 253k miles and the previous owner did not take care of it whatsoever. It was a plow truck in mid MI its whole life. Had a bad HG when I got it. Injectors were done once at 165k and I did the second set while the heads were off just so I wouldn't have to go in there again. Also put a new starter, a/c compressor and water pump on too. Other things like brakes and front end stuff were done just for peace of mind too. Original brake pads, etc... Fuel sending unit was just replaced too. Runs and drives like a dream now, actually did when I got it too, but better now. This particular truck was a worse case scenario. It's good as new now, and actually could be for sale........basically for what I have in the repairs!

Now like I said, that's worse case. My 03 is also an LB7 and has 265k miles. That truck had its second set of injectors at 241k, but that's been it for major repairs. I lifted it at 255k and did front end stuff while it was apart, not b/c it needed it. Brake pads were original on it too and they were replaced then. It had a small trans leak in the front seal at 260k so had it rebuilt while it was apart. Could be for sale.

My 05 has been a dream so far. Had a cat convertor on till 180k when I did 4" exhaust, egr is still in tact to this day. 200k or so and never a visit to the dealer aside from a tiny coolant leak out of a water pump hose at 190k. Had the pump replaced while it was apart. Lifted it shortly after and replaced some front end components while it was apart. Still running original brake pads, hubs and tie rods. I have yet to plug it in in the winter.

I've had others too....another 01 with only 1 set of inj at 180k, sold with over 200k, an 02 that was flawless aside from water pump at 110k (sold shortly after), and an 04.5 that I sold like new at 65k.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  18. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

although that sounds like a lot that does not seem all that bad for the age and miles on the trucks.

Thanks it does not sound like i should have to much trouble with it then, of course there is always the possibility but maybe I'll give it some additive and with the rest of the work on it give the coolant a flush. cant hurt. guys doing the tranny service, oil and such and with the condition of the truck i don't think it was abused so i will just have to hope i have good luck :)

Thanks again
  19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Best of luck to you........you'll love the truck I'm sure.
  20. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

well when i took it for a drive it definitely felt nice and the truck itself looks awesome.

Will post pics when i get it next week :)

Thanks again all!

anything else comes to mind please feel free to add it in