1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Chevy 2500HD wiring - DRLs not working?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ih8snow, Nov 27, 2009.

1. ih8snow

ih8snow Junior Member
    from MN

I just finished wiring up a used 2007 RD MM2 plow to my 2001 Chevy 2500HD. The original owner had a 2002 Chevy 2500HD, so I figure the wiring (4 Port Isolation Module) should all work for my truck. The problem that I have is the DRL lights don't work.

Based on the wiring manual, I spliced the pink wire from the iso module short harness into the dark blue wiring on the driver's side DRL harness. When the truck switches from the low beams to the DRL the DRL bulbs never light up (this is with the plow off). I did verify the DRL 10AMP fuse in the engine bay fuse panel was OK. There's also a DRL Relay in there too, but I don't know how to validate whether that got messed up.

Is there some special adapter needed for a 2001 Chevy 2500HD? Do I need to monkey with the config plug that dangles off the vehicle harness?

Thanks

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What ISO do you have, what's the part number on it?

3. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

I have an issue with my DRLs in my truck too. I need to go back over my wiring again.

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

Scrub my last question, I don't think it would have anything to do with it as it is happening without the plow.

I would go back to your splicing and make sure that it was done correctly, re do it if your questioning yourself. That would be the number 1 culprit. Also check to make sure you tapped into the positive side of the DRL's not the ground while your right there. I'm thinking it should still work truck side even if you tapped into the wrong source, but maybe there is something I am unaware of in connection with that.

I have the same truck, and I left my pink one alone, truckside works fine as one would imagine it would. I have yet to hook a plow to it, but worse case I have to turn the lights on when it gets dark with the plow on....I prefer them on all the time anyway when I have the plow on.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  5. ih8snow

ih8snow Junior Member
    from MN

I'm pretty sure the splice itself is ok as I did go back and re-spliced it last night. The passenger side DRL has light blue and gray wires. The driver side DRL has dark blue and gray wires. I spliced into the dark blue wire on the drive side thinking that's the (+) positive wire.

D'oh! I didn't know I could've left the pink wire alone. I thought I needed to splice it in or my DRLs would not work anymore. So if I remove the pink wire, my DRLs should be working again? I don't really care if the plow lights are on or not during the day.

BTW, I have the 4 Port Iso Module with the green label.

Thanks

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

If your iso is 27781 then your good there. Yes, you can leave the pink wire alone and it should work just fine that way.