1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 Chevy 2500 HD Reg cab Long bed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DBFlawn, Jan 1, 2009.

1. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Okay so tomorrow I will be looking at a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Regular Cab Long Bed and it is 2 Wheel Drive. There is a slight chance that I might want to put a plow on this truck in the future but no guarentees. What I would like to know is who makes a decent plow for this truck. I understand that it is only 2 Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Drive is better but I will not be doing really heavy stuff. The truck is a great deal and I dont really want to pass it up.

What I need to know is if this is possible. Not that I'm not going to be able to stack as high. Not that I might get stuck. Just want to know who makes a good plow for this truck?

Thanks in advance.
    DBF

2. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

Would you put a plow on a Camaro or Mustang?

Just buy a 4wd truck...

3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

You should be able to put a 7.5 plow on I would not. I do plow alot in 2 wheel drive in large lots but pushing any real snow I need to shift into 4x4. Get a 4x4 and don't worry about it. There is a good reason 2 wheel drive trucks are cheaper and 4x4

4. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Different story. With the pick up you can put ballast in the back. Like I said. All I want to know is who makes a good plow for tis truck.

5. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

I know a lot of people plow in 2 wheel drive. I understand that 4x4 is better. But I feel if you know the limits of your truck then you should have a problem.

6. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Asking what plow is better than the others is like asking what brand truck is better than the others.You ask ten people you get ten different answers.

7. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Okay maybe I should have restated this a little differently. Who makes a p,ow out there for this truck? Will a plow that is designed for a 2001 Chevy Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 4x4 fit on my 2001 Chevy Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 4x2? I looked on westerns website and they dont list a plowe for thid truck in 2wd. Any other companies out there that DO make one?

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would go to your nearest plow dealer and start there.

9. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

A plow that fits 4x4 should fit 4x2 of the same year. They probally don't recommend it that's why it isn't on quickmatch on the site

10. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Thank you.

11. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

I'm not even sure where my nearest one is around here. Would a local car/truck dealership work if they sell snowplow packages on their trucks?

thanks in advance

12. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

check plow website for dealer locator to find one near.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes. Of course, they might try to sell you a 4WD.

14. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

you know its funny,
    when im doing parking lots, i truly hardley ever use the 4x4,,
    but i cant do a house that has more than 8 - 10 cm of snow without using 4x4.

good luck to you with the 4x2. I would stick to the lightest duty plow i could find. blizzard makes a pretty flimsy 2 spring plow 7.5ft. nice, very light duty, but ive seen it push some decent snow..... i think becasue its so light it helps when piling the snow.

i think the hardest part when using a 4x2 would be your acual first pass,, everything after that should be pretty easy pushing. I still say 4x4 all the way.
    BTW >> my brother n lwat had a 2001 silverado, 4x2, single cab, long box,,, new, decent snow tires,, it really did deserve to stay home in snowy weather.
    good luck.