1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 C3500HD Issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by White Gardens, Oct 2, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Trying to figure out a gremlin that is causing me fits.

My C3500HD, with an 8.1 gasser has been doing a funny thing this past year.

If I start the truck and let it idle for more than 5 minutes, it doesn't want to really go when I put it in drive.

It acts like it's starved for fuel, or just not firing right.

As soon as I pull over and shut the truck off for 30 seconds, I can start it back up and it drives fine.

I'm getting no check-engine light, power loss light. We ran a full diagnoses and tests just last spring and it only showed that one cylinder had a miss-fire at idle. Since then I've done a tune-up with wires and plugs, but haven't run a diagnostic since then.

Any thoughts before I run another diagnoses?

Thanks.

Nick

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

3. White Gardens

Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Transfer pump, and rear sending unit have been replaced in the past year, but I haven't hooked a gauge to the fuel rail to see what readings I get.

It was happening before the fuel pump replacement also.

4. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Have you ever changed the Crank Positioning Sensor? If not I would start there since that was a major thing for early model 8.1L's. Also in your sig it says 8.1L (492)....its actually a 496ci ;)

5. White Gardens

Ooops, don't know why I put 492, thanks for the heads up.

Yes, have replaced the crank sensor also. Just funny how this thing acts up only after it's idled at cold start up.

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

What kind of plugs you use?

7. White Gardens

AC Delco. Went with the cheaper wires though to save about a 100 bucks. The truck runs better and is smoother at idle since the tune up, but the power loss after idle at cold start up still comes back occasionally. The Plugs I pulled had heavy white deposits on them. They also didn't show signs of fuel or valve problems.

8. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Did you gap them at .050"? Stock gap is 60 and I run 45 but I also have alot of tuning. 50 is the best to run these at for stock. I dont think thats the problem though...just some FYI.

So after idle does it run rough or put or it just feels down on power? Alot down on power or just a little? I feel this sometimes on mine too but mine is related to other things. Im wondering if it is something in the fuel tables in the programming or if it is going into Knock ****** all the time from something like a bad sensor or something. I would suggest talking to B&B and seeing his thoughts. He has an 8.1L too and hes my computer go-to nerd for all that high tech sh!t....lol. Hes good.

9. White Gardens

I went ahead and with with a 60 gap as recommended.

Basically it seems like it goes into a limp mode, or like you said, just ******** on the timing. I can basically get it to barely go at all. If I try it and it does it, I just pull over, turn the truck off, wait a few seconds and start it and it's back to normal.

That's why I'm leaning towards a program problem. I'm also going to run a diagnostic test again and see if I still have the one cylinder misfiring at idle. That is what I'm wondering is the issue. It makes me think that if the engine is sensing a misfire it starts to mess with the fuel mixture or timing.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nobody here recommended .060".

11. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Do a check on the trans computer also. What are you using to run checks? Tech II or EFI Live or what? Has anyone ever programmed the truck with a tuner?

12. White Gardens

No programing has been done. The checks have been done by my Mechanic who has a full GM scanner that he can check the live diagnostic.

13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Pay attention to knock sensors and knock ****** if he does a test while driving. Tell him to flash the computer with the latest updates as there were a few for the TCM not sure about the PCM. Nothing major though.