1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 3500 plow options

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by indplstim, Nov 6, 2015.

1. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Just bought a 2001 Chevy 3500, 8.1 with the Allison trans, extended cab drw, 4800 lb front end. Was checking around on the plow manufacturer websites last night, Boss was the only company I found offering better than an 8 foot straight blade. Anyone had any trouble with a heavier plow on these setups? Any opinions or past experiences or issues? Thanks in advance.

2. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Got a quote for a 9.2 boss dxt today, $6300 installed, what are you guys seeing in your area price wise?

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

That's not a bad price and a good plow. I sure don't understand why Chevy sells a 1 ton truck with a 4800 lb. front end. I've got a 3/4 ton and the front end is 5500. Makes no sense at all. Since you've got a dually I'd also add wings to the plow to help clear your rear wheels.

4. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I agree, my 02 F250 has a 5400 lb front end. Was just reading Boss doesn't recommend wings on the 9.2 due to sagging issues. I don't know if that has been rectified by stronger trip slings at this point.

5. JustJeff

I'm positive I've seen at least a few members with them on DXTs, and many with them on VXTs. I don't know the weight difference between the two. I'm sure someone will chime in here and help you some more.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

talk to mossman381

7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What are you going to plow? Do you really need a 9.2 or would you be better off with a 8.2 blade?

8. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I have a pretty good mix of properties I take care of. Few smallish parking lots, few drives, and a couple large churches. Also whatever else pops up here and there. I help a buddy out when we are done with our stuff. That was another concern, plowing between parked cars on my main contract which is a series of day care centers. I would say 75% of the time I am servicing the lots while empty. So I think I should manage fine.

9. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I don't want to deal with running over windrows that why I am leaning towards the 9.2

10. JustJeff

The weight difference between an 8.2 and 9.2 is 57 lbs. He's also got a dually. Why would he go with an 8.2?

11. JustJeff

You are correct. Or, one other option would be an 8.2 with wings. Then if you had to remove them for tight spaces, you could.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would run an 8'2" with wings before I ran the 9'2" without.
    I had a 2004 CCLB with the diesel and same front end. Ran an 8'6" MVP Plus with wings and no issues.

13. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Missed the dually part.

14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I was wondering who was going to grab that.

Those training wheels make a difference.

15. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Well here it is, 9.2 dxt. Not hooked up in the picture. Had to get a 2 inch leveling kit as the older chevys do not sit very high. Thanks to Mid-State Truck in Fishers Indiana for the clean install. Now we just need some snow!

IMAG0221.jpg

16. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Boss XVT

Very nice!

17. Badlandsexc

Badlandsexc Junior Member

Looks good. Dont forget the timbrens, well worth the money. Make sure the uca gussets are there, Iif not weld them in.

18. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I had timbrens on my old 99 1500 silverado, but honestly, the 3500 does not sag too much with the plow raised. I checked on the gussets before I bought the truck. They were installed by the factory, truck has the plow prep package and has not had a plow installed previously. Still waiting on it to snow here in Indianapolis....thank goodness for seasonal contracts. Looks like we will get to play sonetime in the next few weeks hopefully.

19. Badlandsexc

Badlandsexc Junior Member

I run 9.5 vxf w/wings so the timbrens really help. It has to snow sometime, hopefully.

20. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would put them on, the plow will sag the front end over time. Torsion bars are still strong as they have not had a load on them before, but you will notice over time, truck will sag.