1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 2500hd 8.1 liter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

what are the pros and cons of this truck? 4x4 crew cab
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Just picked up the same truck except I got the 6.0L gas engine. Hopefully I'll be able to put it to work in the next week!
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I know one of the cons. At least with my 1999 2500 crew cab. It takes about 40 acres to turn the damn thing around. A standard 3 point turn in most trucks = a 6 point turn in my truck. Add the plow, and the spreader on the back and it's almost 25 feet long.
  4. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

i heard from rumor that they tend to use a bit of oil in between oil changes....
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Find B&B, he's got a beast of his own and will tell you anything you'd like to know.

Pros- allison 1000 trans, aam 11.5 rear axle, hauls major tail

Cons- Thirsty
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A freind of mine has one with the 8.1 and it gets horible gas milage, alot worse than the 6.0.
  7. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

I didnt know gas mileage could get any worse then the 6.0? my 2003 2500hd with the 6.0 and 4.10's averaged around 10-12, what does a 8.1 get?
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think around town 9-10 and hwy- 11-14. I've heard a pcm tune, full exhaust (headers all the way back) will really help them out.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mark pretty much has it covered.

Since the one in question is a first year truck the main things you want to check is if its had all the TSB updates done on it for the drivetrain. This includes the revised intake bolts (lessens oil consumption), the drain back valve in the front pump of the Allison (prevents the delayed engagement issues), as well as the newer design NSBU (neutral safety back up lamp switch).

You'll enjoy the pulling power that no 5.7, 6.0, or 7.4 will match with approx the same MPG that the old Vortec 7.4's have. They have as close to the same pulling characteristics of a diesel that you can get.....without actually having to buy a diesel. :nod:

As for actual MPG, after a few years of very close monitoring mine averages 8.3 - 9.1 MPG around town (loaded or empty). And 11.1 - 11.6 on the highway (loaded or empty). And anywhere from 55 - 85 MPH..cruise on or off makes no difference.
  10. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 2001 8.1 with 60 K on it I was going through a quart of oil every 500-700 miles and GM said it was NORMAL! WTF... I got 13 mpg at best averaged around 9 mpg but the power was amazing for a gas engine.
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you have the updated intake bolts installed? That cures a fair amount of the oil consumption.

But anyone who knows the big block Chevy's of any era knows they use some oil...the 8.1's are no different.
  12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I honestly don't know...I bought the truck used and only put about 10k on it before I got rid of it.
  13. alivings

alivings Junior Member

I have an 02 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1 and I love plowing with this truck, Boss 8' superduty. I use Shell Rotela T synthetic and it burns about one quart every 3000 miles. I get an average of 13 mpg, it all depends on how you drive. This truck will pull anything you put behind it. I have a flowmaster cat-back and computer programmer, about $800 for both upgrades.
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A hand held programmer, or a custom tune? Big difference between the two. :nod:
  15. alivings

alivings Junior Member

I have a hyperpac. I installed it in August so I am still messing around with it so far it's helped out with the gas mileage.