1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 2500 hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Northman, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

So is the 01 2500 HD going to be a good plow truck or do they have known issues and I should look elsewhere?

Just wanting to update plow truck. Looking at one with 110k 6.0 regular cab
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well we have one 01 hd. i have only plowed once in it. but i can say alot for a mechanical stand point. dipstick tube rotting out, exh manifolds, brake lines, abs assm, water pump. ours has a highly motified rear suspension so it rides like a tank. as far as i have heard pple like plowing with it. we did have a meyer on it but switched to an ultra mount 2 yrs ago. do a good inspection on it. look all around and under it
  3. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

Gas? Diesel?

Check the front end over real good; each point the a arms mount can crack/bend. check all fluids. also do a google search for "pump rub" if not already fixed it will become an issue. (basicall pump wears a hole in the t-case leaking the fluid out). other than that do regular maintenance, filters fluids and it will plow like a champ...
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Gas? Diesel? he said 6.0 gas
  5. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

We have one and personally I prefer it to any of our fords. I find it to be more comfortable and smoother riding. The 6.0 has more power than the 5.4. The vehicle is 11 years old though so it will need reconditioning. I just finished a cab off restore on ours cause the lines needed doing again. All SS lines and POR15 everything. Over the years we have replaced almost every single part on the vehicle from window regulators to lines to manifolds to rockers and cab corners. The vehicle has 200K on it and has worked its entire life. It still runs strong, but the cab floor and pillars are going so it will be parted out in the near future after we run a few more winters out of it.
  6. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

6.0 I thought all those were gas

Thanks for heads up on pump :drinkup: Sounds like it could get payup

Here is the reading I did on pump.

7. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

If there has been more then 1 owner they may not know if pump has been updated. If I am crawling under to check, where would I be looking or feeling for rubbed hole on case at? On top where?
  8. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Mine isn't the HD model. I don't know what the difference is. I've had it for 4 years, plowed for 2 seasons. It's rusting in the rocker panels, and the dip stick tube. I did replace the power window regulators but that's an easy job.
    No lack of power with the 6.0 but mine is tough on gas at12 mpg.
  9. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

do a search online for pump rub. It will be a very tiny hole and most likely no signs of fluid anywhere either. It only pumps out under pressure when moving so there will be no seeping or puddles.