1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2001 1500 5.9 ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Northman, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Still trying to update my private use plow before winter. Never owned a dodge truck, but drove them in the military in early 80's.

2001 129K 5.9 Ram. Good, bad etc?

Read alot of bad on front ends, transmission, brakes, computer and electrical issues. Are they really that bad?
    Reading folks reviews has me rethinking test driving it even.

ram15002001.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well not so much of a dodge issue but what is on the front of that plow?

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

No they're not bad

But judging by that plow id pass

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

What are they asking?

5. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Talking with a long time mopar friend last night he told me there was a issue with 5.9 and cracked heads too. Wonderful.

Havent looked close enough to know what the shield is covering on the plow. Drove by but didnt get out yet.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It's not common. They sometimes hairline crack in between valves. Some people swap r/t heAfs on them

7. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Test drive. Trans fubarred. Had to let off gas then feather pedal back on gas to get it to shift every freaking gear. If it wasnt for that. I would have bought it.
    The hunt continues.

8. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I used to work for Chrysler, only issues to really watch for are the trannies, heads and u-joints. I would never buy one used unless the tranny has been rebuilt and the tranny lines replaced "most common cause of tranny failure". The heads are prone to cracking between valves. Usually the #6 or #8 spark plug will burn off tripping a misfire code. The u-joints are always live so as soon as the caps show a little rust around the rubber seal plan on doing both joints. Only other little things are the plug wires tend to arc on the valve cover on the passenger side, coils swell up and short out and the serpentine belt tensioner tends to seize up. Decent trucks otherwise. Good power, ride nice, handle good, sound great but horrible on gas.

Oh, and the track bar always wear quickly causing a steering wander, but the after market community has a bar to solve that.

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have 4 Dodge trucks, I could bash Ford and Chevy but in all they all will break. All have there weak spots. I know what Dodge has problems with and fix it before it makes problems for me. I really like the fact that Dodge used a solid front axle on the 1500 until 2002. If they do need u joints or bearings it is easy and cheap.

10. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

I noticed that on the 01. Looked like solid front axle. I thought cool till test drive.