1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000lb Salt Block....HELP!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dbarkie11, Jan 17, 2011.

1. dbarkie11

dbarkie11 Junior Member

Hey Guys,
    Im new to the forum, so i appreciate any advice/tips you can give a newbie. I have small office building that i plow for, and i store the salt there, i bought this thing called a super sack, its basically a huge plastic bag it holds one ton of rock salt, i had it wrapped in plastic wrap and tarped all around. anyways, i went and got it refilled again, and i brought it back to the building, wrapped it, tarped it, and went there today to salt, and it is hard as a rock. i am really worried what to do, i mean the last batch of salt i had this never happened to, and the salt has a much browner hue to it than the last one which was like a dirty white, but i mean this ton of salt is pretty much worthless to me unless i can undo whatever made it turn into a massive block. PLEASE ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

About 50 gallons of well brine will help or wait until it warms up. If you have a way to move into a heated building and let it sit till it thaws out also works but that cab take some time. I bought some of the super sacks myself but I keep them in a pole barn which is dry. So far so good no problems for me with them freezing.

Mike

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

The salt was wet when you refilled the bag..... hope you like banging away at a brick of ice cause thats what you've got.... if you know someone with a skid or loader that would be the easiest thing to break the salt up... in the future make sure your salt is dry

4. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Warm it up. That will do the trick.

James

5. dbarkie11

dbarkie11 Junior Member

ive heard of guys warming it up and dumping a ton of windshield washer fluid on it, or antifreeze....your thoughts?

6. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

This is the first year I have had the problem. But I used a torpedo heater to warm it up and it did just fine. The 2nd load I got was wet and the temps we in the teens and it froze up. Get it inside or it will freeze up again. I have never tried the fluid products. Good luck!

James

7. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Sacks are great if you can store them properly. They don't deal well with outside cold storage, and if the salt in them is wet when the sack is filled, you already have the deck stacked against you. Don't use antifreeze under any circumstances, and washer fluid (methanol) may not be your solution. Being that you have a sack, I assume you have the capability to handle it (forklift or skidsteer), so I would try getting it warm first. If that doesn't work, some hot brine may help, but I'd plan on dumping the block out (or cutting the sack off of it, if necessary) and breaking it up manually with a machine.

There's no real "easy" answer here, unfortunately.

HTH...

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

windshield washer fluid and a skid loader to break it up

9. Turf Care

Turf Care Junior Member
    from Midwest

if all else fails, cut the sack and use a ride on trencher to "cut" into the outer layer. Once you start to break it up, it will start crumbling.

10. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Cut the bag off it, rap a chain around it and drag it around the lot.:laughing:

11. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

bahaha thats a good one :laughing:

12. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I just got thought of that visual and now i am laughing out loud. That would be great to see.

As far as the frozen super sack. Ur gonna have to cut it open and smash it up with a machine. If you get it into a heated building it will help but it will take quite a while to unfreeze. You have too big of a mass of salt. I usually just take my backhow and smash it up. But it will probably refreeze on you also. Goood luck. Keep us posted on your progress. And a picture or two if you wrap a chain around it. :)

13. dbarkie11

dbarkie11 Junior Member

thanks guys for all your help. i got the owner of the building to put it inside yesterday and i asked him to keep it in there until sometime next week, i do love the idea of dragging the block around the parking lot that would be hilarious! i bought 10 gallons of propylene glycol rv antifreeze and once its dried and thawed out im going to douse it with that, says its good to -50F we shall see. i do really appreciate the advice!

14. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

DONT DO THAT..........

You NEVER EVER want to put out any kind of antifreeze, that stuff kills dogs and other critters, anyone walking their dog in the area will be most unhappy. Washer fluid and antifreeze are very different. Maybe propylene is less hazardous than ethylene but either way, not the way to go.....

15. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I agree. Antifreeze is a big NO NO. You will be fine if you warm it up. Try to get it out of the sack as much as you can so the inside of the pile can get some heat

16. dbarkie11

dbarkie11 Junior Member

alright ill hold off on it, the stuff says it wont harm animals or the environment but whatever no big deal

17. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

10 gallons of antifreeze for $75 in salt? Just dump the block back in the bulk pile and run it over with the wheell
    loader

18. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

where di you get the salt from? if your in deerfield , get a working relationship with reds, talk to ryan over there, he might let you dump it break it up for you...don't waste your time with the washer fluid... you need a machine...say good bye to your sack and smash that stuff up and get rid of it...

19. dbarkie11

dbarkie11 Junior Member

i got it from town and country landscaping supply in wauconda. i only got it from there because they were the only place i could think of, sold it in bulk and in less than truckload quantities, and they closed their lake bluff location which is where i got my first batch from which was dry and fantastic. i appreciate mentioning reds, if i remember right, that's in glenview right? i only mention that because the building i plow/salt for is in the glen which would be super convenient for future reference.

20. dbarkie11

dbarkie11 Junior Member

i got it from town and country landscaping supply in wauconda. i only got it from there because they were the only place i could think of, sold it in bulk and in less than truckload quantities, and they closed their lake bluff location which is where i got my first batch from which was dry and fantastic. i appreciate mentioning reds, if i remember right, that's in glenview right? i only mention that because the building i plow/salt for is in the glen which would be super convenient for future reference.[/QUOTE]