1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000ish Chevy 1500 vs 2006 F-150 plow capacity question

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 66 BADBOY, Feb 20, 2008.

1. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Hey guys,

Pretty soon, I will be in the market for a used (ahem..... pre-owned) 1/2 ton truck and a new plow. I've been talking to plow dealers, and they have been telling me its easier to get a heavier plow on a Chevy truck than an F-150. Most dealers have recommended a personal style plow for the 2006 F-150, and that is also what I've been finding on plow manufacturer websites. When I change trucks on line to a Chevy, the site gives me more choices for standard duty plows rather than just personal plows.

I've been keyed into Ford so far because my friend is turning in his lease in June, and I'd like to buy the truck. But after hearing and reading this stuff, I'm kinda confused.

So basically, without starting a Chevy vs Ford battle, and ONLY for the plow reason, would I be better off getting a Chevy than a Ford?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Chevy or Ford..both are good plow trucks. I think the chevy has a softer suspension that needs more mods though.
    I think that both trucks can take a plow up to 750 pounds and handle it quite good-if you have rear ballast, front timbrens, and your torsion bars cranked.
    If I were buying in your situation I would step up to a 3/4 ton...you can do so much more with them...it's well worth it, believe me..I'm living the 1/2 ton blues.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008