1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

20003 Dodge 2500 V or straight Blade?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dodgedzlr, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Dodgedzlr

Dodgedzlr Junior Member

Afternoon Everyone,:waving: I spoke to my plow installer today. He said Western does not recommend a V plow (Western) on a 2500 dodge with the cummins. I know I have seen plenty of V plows on that type truck. What Im asking is will I run into any problems if I "Exceed the Manufacture recommendation" . No one other than myself will be operating the truck. Im easy on equipment and the Majority of time the blade will be in the down position. I have a 3/4 mile lane to clear. The reason Im leaning toward a V is if the lane drifts shut I can go into V position and bust through. Also, I have to neighborhoods close to my home. Im thinking of knocking on doors and drumming up some business. I have plowed for years but have only done it for personal use. I had a 8 1/2 prow plow+ ultramount. Im leaning toward the v plow because its cool,:cool: Im a guy and I want it, and it maybe handy in small driveways. But, I know I need to be practical and not tear up my truck. In advance thanks for your response.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

as you probably already know the weight of the engine limits how much extra weight you can hang off the front end, that said, I enjoy plowing with a diesel more than a gas. its your truck and the v will make more sense plowing a road, as long as you understand that you will be replacing ball joints and the likes at a rate much greater than normal go for it.

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If you have a regular cab, long bed, Boss says you can run a 8' 2" Steel VX-T on that truck. You will find that the Boss plows are usually lighter than the Westerns, with no sacrifice to durability or strength. With a quad cab, go fish, cause your out of luck. They do not recommend running one at all.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 9'2" V plow on truck in my sig. Dealer I went to said "well you sure have the right truck for it"

5. Dodgedzlr

Dodgedzlr Junior Member

Thanks for the input, I looked at the Boss but locally the Western guys are top shelf when it comes to service and sales. I was going back and forth between the Two. Note: even if I went with a 7 1/2 V im still over the # limit. Yes it is a quad cab. Im leaning hard toward the straight blade.

6. JDiepstra

You'll be chasing trails and run off all day with a straight blade unless you put some wings on it. Another thing you're gonna wanna do it throw a bunch of weight behind the rear axle to take some weight off the front axle. Happy plowing.....

7. Dodgedzlr

Dodgedzlr Junior Member

Thanks I have the rear end all set up for the compensation. I love how those diesel can push through the snow. Its frustrating that its a weight restriction that holds you back when you have a motor that can pull a house.

8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

not if you know what you are doing

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

how about a big fat back blade? since you can pull a house, why not an expandable back blade.

10. JDiepstra

LMAO ok. Nice sig line.

11. Dodgedzlr

Dodgedzlr Junior Member

Thanks for the input I spoke with a guy who has a T190 that sits around during the winter. We might park it at my place in the barn. If I need it he will charge me based off the hour meter. We have a set price per hour . I decided if I put a plow on the truck it will be 8 1/2 MVP :). Let it Snowwww!!!!!